Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tj_shopper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 11:03 AM
    GE Smart Digital Timer and a Two Way Switch
    I had an intermatic timer that went out on me. It was originally installed by an electrician. The light switch is one of four. The other three are: 1) outside light, 2) two way sconce lights, 3) two way inside lights. The old intermatic timer had two black wires coming out of it. One black wire was connected to two blue wires together. The other black wire was connected to a dark grey wire. When I went to install the new GE Smart Digital Timer, the new timer has a white, red, blue and green wire. I'm not sure what to do. Do I unravel the two blue wires -- put one blue with the black and the other blue with the red? Take the dark grey wire and attach it to the white? I don't know which is the ground. I assumed it was the light grey wire that was in the box. There are three light grey wires together that are held by a nut. Can someone please help? It's hard to understand when all the wires are different color. Thanks much!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2011, 12:19 PM

A couple of timers I know of:
    1) A Line and a Load with No Neutral connection. A Load needs to be On(connected for these to work).
    2) A Hot, Neutral, and Load from the Hot. Like the 3 wire photocells.
    3) 2 Line connections and totally Isolated connections for switching.

If the light grey wires are wirenutted together and 1 of those screws directly to the box, that is your grounds and should be bare or green.
    Not sure If your dark grey is hot, switched or a neutral yet, will read again.
    I also need to find the links for both, do you have handy?

If the old
    If the 2 blues were toghther before, I would leave them together
    tj_shopper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    The old timer is this one http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/files/intermatic/products/instructions/timers/ej351c%20-%20english.ashx.

The new timer is this one http://www.smarthome.com/59408/GE-15086-7-Day-Digital-Timer-White/p.aspx. I have no idea if I have a neutral. I know that the new timer needs to have a neutral. Thanks much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE digital timer [ 0 Answers ]

I have 3 switches in one box to control 3 separate lights. I need to install the GE Smart Digital Timer (model #15086) to only one switch/one light. I have tried following the instructions that came w/ the timer, but the light is not working so far. Can someone please help?

Digital timer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I program a digital timer 28442

Digital timer no. Td1000 [ 2 Answers ]

How do ii program a digital timer no. Td1000

Garrison Digital Timer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reset my digital timer?

View more questions Search