Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    echinacea Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Icemaker not working
    I have a Whirlpool ice maker that does not get water into it. It is not frozen in the hose. How do I determine if it is a valve or the entire ice maker?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2011, 12:10 PM
    First, make sure you are getting water to the unit. Remove the bottom grill and if you are lucky you will see the water/icemaker connection there. Make sure water is present and flowing. If not, your needle valve, if that is what is used, may be plugged. It's a very small hole. Make sure the fill arm isn't tipped in the off(up) position. You may have some dirt in the valve or a bad valve. Shut off the water and remove the fill arm at the icemaker, usually 1 or 2 screws. Make sure the tubing and valve are clear. If all is OK, you probably have a bad fill valve/solenoid.

Jul 4, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks for your help. I wasn't able to see if the valve was plugged. May buy a bag of ice!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2011, 05:40 PM
    You can always use an ice tray, 2 for $ at the $ store.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
    The way you check a water solenoid is with an ohm meter. You read across the electrical terminals and should read about 1 k-ohm or so. The valve can also be clogged, but it can be easily taken apart and cleaned. Make sure to check the screen, too. On the ice maker you check it by pouring water in it to fill the tray. If it freezes the cubes and ejects them then the problem is most likely the solenoid. Also, be sure to check and see if the coils under the refrigerator are clogged with dirt. If they are clean them well by removing rear cover and blowing out coils and spraying them with water (unplug unit first) to wash them off. Replace rear cover after completing repairs. If freezer does not get cold enough ice maker will not work which can result from dirty coils. The coils should be cleaned every six months to keep compressor from failing. Another problem can be the harvest t-stat in ice maker, but it is hard to work on and if filling it with water results in ice ejected in a few hours then it is working. DrTom4444

Jul 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    Thanks for your help. I've cleaned everything that I can find. Put water in manually. It froze, but, it did not eject. The water still works on the door, just not in the ice maker.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2011, 04:47 PM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    The problem is the harvest t-stat in the ice maker. It is a little round t-stat about 3/4" in diameter with two wires on it. It has its sensor against the side of the freezing chamber. Replace it and your ice maker will work. It should cost about $5-10. Remove ice maker and it is on the front side on most all units. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Refrigerator icemaker not working [ 1 Answers ]

After taking out ice tray to empty out, and put it back in, ice maker is not producing ice? I was working before

Icemaker not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool side by side refrigerator the ice mker stopped working there was ice froze in there but will not drop I took off the ice maker and got all the ice out it was a solid block I put it back and it gave me water but the same results I have power to my ice maker terminals but no power...

Whirlpool Refridg Icemaker not working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a whirlpool with icemaker and water dispenser in the door. The icemaker stopped working a couple of days ago. It seemed to not be getting an water. The water dispenser works fine. I purchased a repacement and have the same problem. No water getting to the tray. The replacement came with...

View more questions Search