Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: If the debt limit is NOT extended, who's fault is it?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Democrats

3 25.00%
  • The Republicans

3 25.00%
  • The Tea Party

1 8.33%
  • None of the above (it just happened - nobody knows why)

1 8.33%
  • They'll extend it BEFORE the deadline

4 33.33%
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    There is no bigger hypocrite in America today than our president.
    Hello again, Steve:

Are you offended at the WAY he said it, or that he said it at all?

Of course, the GOP IS threatening to undermine the economy IF their demands aren't met. What do you want to call it? Bipartisanship?

You'd only feel that way, Steve, if you BOUGHT the right wing claptrap circulating around, that going past August 2nd deadline, isn't really going to DO anything at all to our economy... It's all a left wing conspiracy... And, if you're WRONG about the devastation your actions will cause, well you can always TRY to blame Obama...

But, I take exception to your gambling with my children's future..

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 07:24 AM
    I'm calling him the biggest hypocrite in America. I applauded him for one of his better moments after the Tucson shootings and he's done nothing but disappoint since. Instead of promoting the "new era of civility" he called for he continues to use the very same violent rhetoric that was used to blame the right for the tragedy.

I've already addressed that gambling with your children's future once, but I fail to see how spending us into oblivion is a good future for your children.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2011, 07:46 AM
    but I fail to see how spending us into oblivion is a good future for your children.
    Hello again, Steve:

So, politicians aren't going to be allowed to use the word gun, huh? Ok..

But, you need to keep up, Steve. The Democrats are proposing a DOLLAR tax on the wealthiest of the wealthy for every FIVE DOLLARS in cuts, and they're proposing TRILLIONS in cuts. Of course, the Republicans are saying NO!

So, while your "spending" rant makes good copy in right wing circles, it bears no resemblance to what is actually going on.

But, I just wonder how come I never heard the 'SPENDING US INTO OBLIVION" rant when George W. Bush started two wars, and wasn't shy AT ALL about putting THAT expense on your children...

Like a lot of the things you rail on about - IOIYAR.. (it's OK if you're a Republican)

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2011, 08:20 AM

Hello again, righty's:

Ok, you didn't see Titanic.. Have you ever played Sim City?? Probably not... Republicans don't have any fun..

Anyway, in Sim City, you're the mayor of your little town. If you raise taxes too much you see your tax base leaving town... If you lower them too much, you see infrastructure decay and crime rise. The game works, because it's RIGHT ON.

The idea, of course, is, that there IS a tax rate that works. Go above it, and bad things happen.. Go below it, and bad things happen.

Do you subscribe to a tax rate that works (whatever number it is), or do you believe the lower, the better?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 08:32 AM

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone happy with spending under Bush. I've never justified that I can recall, I don't recall tom ever justifying it, the IOIYAR argument is a straw man. I can justify spending the trillions the Democrats want to spend at all, much less doing so because "Bush did it."

As for the proposal you refer to, we'll see. Allegedly the twit-in-chief has put cuts in SS and Medicare on the table but I think it's all for show, just like this "sky is falling" act of yours.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Ok, you didn't see Titanic.. Have you ever played Sim City??? Probably not... Republicans don't have any fun..
    I beg your pardon, I played 40 minutes of firefight arcade in Halo Reach this morning. THAT was fun, Sim City, not so much.
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 11:22 AM
    In response to the twit-in-chief's attack on corporate jet owners, the jet industry is a little pi$$ed at him for ruining their business.

While pundits and politicians haggle over whether alterations in the depreciation schedule of corporate jets will actually have an impact on the deficit, those in the general aviation trenches are furious.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPO) President Craig Fuller told The Daily Caller that Obama’s comments have cast a pall over the industry, causing many who were considering buying a plane to back away from making a purchase.

“The industry has suffered terribly in the last two and a half years and it has just started to recover. Most of the signs were starting to look good,” said Fuller. “We are so angry as an industry and we have all come together to try to bring a more fair and balanced description to the debate.”
    So what if a few good paying jobs are lost so he can score points with the base and say he increased "revenues" by a few measly billion on the backs of rich people? And did I tell you this corporate jet thing tax break was his idea in the first place?

One other thing, this is a rerun of the luxury tax on yachts that had disastrous results for a lot of people.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 11:46 AM

What happens in Sims city when you waste tax money on unnecessary spending ? Do the businesses move to the next town ?
    I'm not the mayor of the little town I live in... our mayor wouldn't be mayor for long if he wasted our money. There are people here who attend every town board meeting with sharpened pencils handy ready to "assist " the town in ways they can more efficiently spend our money.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What happens in Sims city when you waste tax money on unnecessary spending ?
    Or what happens when you give the mayor money to put jobless townspeople to work, but he instead stashes it in his office safe?
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 02:51 PM

What happens when you add taxpayers? Sen. Marco Rubio:

Let’s stop talking about new taxes and start talking about new taxpayers, which means jobs. This debt is the No. 1 issue on everyone’s minds and rightfully so. It is a major issue, but everywhere else, in the real world, the No. 1 issue on people’s minds is jobs. And I tell you, every other problem facing America — a mortgage crisis, a home foreclosure crisis, this debt problem — all of these issues get easier to deal with if people are gainfully employed across America. And the impact that unemployment is having across this country is devastating. …

Our job here [in Congress] is to do everything we can to make it easier for them to find a job, not harder. And I think that’s what we have to do when it comes to ‘a balanced approach’ and when we talk about revenue. We don’t need new taxes, we need new taxpayers, people who are gainfully employed, making money, paying into the tax system and then we need a government that has the discipline to take that additional revenue and use it to pay down the debt and never grow it again. …

So you look at all these taxes that are being proposed and here’s what I say: I say we should analyze every single one of them through the lens of job creation, issue No. 1 in America. I want to know which one of these taxes they’re proposing will create jobs. I want to know how many jobs will be created by the planes tax. I want to know how many jobs will be created by the oil company tax that I’ve heard so much about. How many jobs are created by going after the millionaires and billionaires that the president talks about? I want to know! How many jobs do they create? …

I traveled the state of Florida for two years campaigning. I have never met a job creator who told me that they were waiting for the next tax increase before they started growing their business. I’ve never met a single job creator who has ever said to me I can’t wait ’til government raises taxes again so I can go out and create a job. I’m curious to know if they say that in New Hampshire because they don’t say that in Florida. So my view on all that is, I want to know how many of these tax increases the president proposes will create because if they’re not creating jobs and they’re not creating new taxpayers, they’re not solving the problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2011, 03:17 PM

Hello again, Steve:

Rubio is mixing metaphors.. If the DEBT is the problem, then raising revenue is a solution.. If JOBS are the problem, then RE-building our infrastructure is a solution.

If Rubio wants to know what higher taxes have to do with job creation, I'd ask, what does NOT RAISING TAXES have to do with the DEBT?

You got to ASK the right question if you want the right answer.. But, if all you want to do is demagogue, then you don't need the right question.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2011, 04:38 PM

I don't think they will meet that Aug deadline . Since the Senate didn't pass the budget that was passed by the House in April ,(actually they haven't passed one in 2 years ),then any negotiated deal will not go through the reconciliation process. In other words a fillibuster is in play.
    That means that the President will have to prioritize spending after debt service.

In Sims City the family that spends too much cuts non-essential spending to pay down their credit card debt.

Here's what they should do... a 10 year plan bringing spending down to the 2008 levels we had when Obama took over... and then to 2006 levels when the Pelosi 'swamp draining' House took over... then gradually to 2000 levels of the 'golden age' of Clintoon spending levels . Wasn't that the days of surplus ?

The Dems are trying to sucker the Republicans like they did to Reagan and GHW Bush . Immediate tax increases for the promise of future spending cuts. The problem is that spending cuts didn't happen and won't happen this time .

Let the deadline pass. A new one will be drawn in the sand. I don't think there is a real deadline until the Oct end of fiscal year. The truth is that the President doesn't want the Republicans going on summer recess and listening to town hall folks setting them straight before a deal is struck .

Rubio for VP !
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    If Rubio wants to know what higher taxes have to do with job creation, I'd ask, what does NOT RAISING TAXES have to do with the DEBT?
    I believe he answered that:

I traveled the state of Florida for two years campaigning. I have never met a job creator who told me that they were waiting for the next tax increase before they started growing their business. I’ve never met a single job creator who has ever said to me I can’t wait ’til government raises taxes again so I can go out and create a job. I’m curious to know if they say that in New Hampshire because they don’t say that in Florida. So my view on all that is, I want to know how many of these tax increases the president proposes will create because if they’re not creating jobs and they’re not creating new taxpayers, they’re not solving the problem.
    It's sound reasoning, ex. You ought to be able to admit that raising taxes changes behavior. People will go all out to avoid paying more in taxes, we're not stupid.

Why do you think I love shopping on Amazon.com? Until something happens to close that internet sales tax loophole I'm going to exploit it. Until the feds enact a "fair tax" (which sounds like true "shared sacrifice" to me) I'm going to do what I can to avoid paying taxes. Don't you?
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 06:44 AM

And one other thing, raising taxes costs jobs. Fewer jobs, fewer taxpayers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:00 AM
    And one other thing, raising taxes costs jobs. Fewer jobs, fewer taxpayers.
    That study shows that it projects initial reduction of employemnt levels but it then recovers to normal levels.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:07 AM
    I'm going to do what I can to avoid paying taxes. Don't you?
    Hello again, Steve:

I don't know. Would you turn down a raise if it means you'll pay more taxes?? No, you wouldn't. The message?? Paying more taxes ISN'T the end all, and be all economic decision any of us make.

The POINT is, as I said earlier, I do NOT run my business based on the tax code. I run it based upon whether I can make a profit... I HIRE when I can't meet the demand of my customers. That's the ONLY time I hire. NO businessman makes his decisions based on the tax code. NONE of 'em.

Let me ask you this.. If you're a businessman, and the tax rate just went UP. HELL, it might go up AGAIN! Yet, you've got customers clamoring for your product. Are you going to close down because you have to pay more taxes?? I don't think you would.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:38 AM

Show me the studies that say tax increases don't cost job losses.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:50 AM

Hello again, Steve:

Sure, I will... After you tell me why the Bush tax cuts DIDN'T create the jobs they were supposed to.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:50 AM

I don't know. Would you turn down a raise if it means you'll pay more taxes??
    Quite a few of the people who work in my plant don't like overtime because of the additional taxes they pay.
    NO businessman makes his decisions based on the tax code. NONE of 'em.
    I've heard some very successful business people say otherwise .Here in the North East many a business has up and left to states with better tax and business friendly environments .
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Quite a few of the people who work in my plant don't like overtime because of the additional taxes they pay.
    Hello again, tom:

Maybe it's in the water. Or the tin foil hats you Noreasters wear. Cause nobody in the REAL world turns down work because of the extra taxes they'll have to pay. NOBODY!

They may turn it down because they're FAT and HAPPY, or maybe LAZY - but NOT because they'll have to pay more taxes...

excon

PS> (edited) On the legal boards, sometimes we get criminals who want to DO their time in jail because they're going to violate probation anyway...

It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to a fellow like me, because even ONE day free, is better than NO days free... But, of course, I could NEVER convince them of that...

In your overtime refusal case, it makes NO sense to a fellow like me, because having MORE cash in my pocket is better than having LESS cash in my pocket, even if the government took a few sheckles. But, I'll NEVER convince you or your fellow workers of that... I have NO IDEA why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Time limit on a lien for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Does a lien has a time limit?

What is debt-to-credit-limit ratio? [ 1 Answers ]

What is debt-to-credit-limit ratio?

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

30 day time limit under Fair Debt Collection Practices Act [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) a debtor has 30 days to request validation of a debt after receiving notice from a collection agency that they owe a debt. Is the collection agency under any legal obligation to provide validation if the debtor requests it after...

View more questions Search