Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
    He Has Diabetes.
    I've known very few people with diabetes so I did not know much about it. My boyfriend has diabetes and I still have confusion on this disorder. I worry about him a lot since he does wrestling and he often has to cut weight. He tries not to eat so much because of it which I understand can be dangerous in his situation. He has run into few incidents where it caused him to pass out. I found when his blood sugar is low, he is unusually hyper and pretty goofy. Though, I carry pieces of candy in my purse when I'm with him for a quick way to raise his blood sugar. I feel like I still don't know everything I should about this disorder though. I'm going to take a class with him about it. In the mean time, I'd like to understand more of the blood sugar levels. When he tests his blood sugar, what number is considered too low? Average? High? Are there any other symptoms I should be aware of? What other reasonable foods and drinks can raise his blood sugar?
    CleverGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
    This book was great when I was diagnosed (and new nothing at the time... boy what a decade will do... )- this is the newest volume:
    Amazon.com: Diabetic's Total Health and Happiness Book: Books: June Biermann

Also
    Type 1 Diabetes: Dedicated to Finding a Cure : Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International and Diabetes information including treating type 2 diabetes at Diabetes.com may be helpful...

Try going to Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities and search for groups on diabetes- I'm sure there is one for significant others...

Drugstores carry "glucose tabs" which are the best thing for low blood sugar and taste fairly good (but not good enough that you'd want to eat them as candy for fun :-) and they work fast... Talk to your boyfriend, ask him what he needs you to do when... Don't be the "blood sugar police" but work with him to understand and help him... (that's what my hubby did when we were just friends and I appreciated his curiosity, his willingness to look out for me, and most of all his respect... )

Best wishes and good luck!
    Big hug!
    Bek

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a bloodt test for diabetes and my doctor wants to see me again as it was a bit high, I have been told to stay awat from sweet things and carbos by another diabetic that I know, I was wondering if there is a possibility as after a meal with carbos in I am ill, usually my stomach, it plays...

Help With Diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

What would you recommend as a herbal help for controlling diabetes?

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

Diabetes symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

I had gestational diabetes in my second pregnancy in 2004 and was told that I am at a high risk of developing diabetes mellitus later on. For the past month or so, I have been urinating more than usual, been extremely hungry and thirsty, sleepier than usual, my eyes have been sore and my vision...

3 yr. Old and type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search