Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    backissues Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 08:03 PM
    If you are out from work on a doctors note, how long before they can fire you?
    I re injured my back on the job, they do not have workers comp. Can they fire me on a doctors release from work? How long before they can fire me if so? I live in Texas
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 08:35 PM

Funny thing in general they have to have workers comp, if they don't carry insurance they merely have to write you a check out of their business money.
    So you merely have to sue them and they will be required to pay. Texas workers comp is also a no fault workers comp state, so it does not matter whose exact fault the accident was.

Obviously they are not following Texas laws on workers comp, so don't expect them to follow it on keeping you employed.

They are not suppose to fire you while you are out on workers comp. Have you filed a claim with the division of workers comp, Texas law allows a person to sue them in court if the business fails to purchase coverage. They are still required to post required notices of workers comp and to show they are self insured.

Jul 1, 2011, 11:01 AM
    Thank you for your help, We have Medical and that is it. All employess had to sign a paper stating that they Do Not carry worker compensation. I wondered if that was legal, but in this economy I need this job.
    Thanks again
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2011, 01:06 PM

The paper you were forced to sign about WC is illegal. Blow the whistle on these crooks and see an attorney about suing them on top of this. What they are doing is HIGHLY illegal and can and will result in some swell fines to the company even if you don't work there anymore at least you'll have the satisfaction of not having them do that to another employee.. Plus you'll win a nice tidy sum if you hire an attorney to get involved in suing them.

Jul 1, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Thanks for the advise, I am sure he has found a loop hole somewhere, he is too smart to let anything get to him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2011, 03:19 PM

In Texas a company does not have to carry workers comp insurance, but if they don't carry the insurance, they are still liable for injury, they are considered self insured by the state.

If they are self insured and refuse to pay, Texas then allows you to sue them for the damages. You signing the letter will not take away your rights

But he is in fact required to tell you that he does not carry workers comp insurance, ( which means he is therefor self insured.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get fired if I have a Doctors note to be our of work before my baby is due? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently due in a few weeks. At the last doctors appointment I had my doctor mentioned me leaving work a little early due to the stress at my job not being good for me or the baby (it has been bringing on contractions, and I have been having problems sleeping) and I have been also been having...

Can you get fired if you have doctors note for your absence [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I worked for a company for 2 year, within those to years I valentered and worked 24 straight hours many days, weekling getting form 100-115 hours a week in summrt time, finally when winter hits I started getting sick and I don't mean flu and something that nature, I was getting constepeted,...

View more questions Search