Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jun 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Car tape player playing too fast.
    I have a 97 ford expedition with the original radio. The tape player has just recently started playing too fast. I can't really gauge it, but I could tell you it's about 2/3 of the way to sounding like chipmunks. My question is, is there any way to fix this? Maybe run a tape cleaner through it a few times? Or some forced air? I don't use it very often, but I would still like it to work. Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2011, 04:17 PM

Been years, but it sounds like the rubber has build up hardened or something on its surface allowing the tape to slip through the rubber roller and capstan, they maintain a constant speed, the take up reel runs faster and is what you are likely hearing, dissembly would be best, and clean the capstan and the pinch roller with isopropyl till clean with a Qtip.
    Try other methods that don't require dissembly, you may get lucky.

Jun 30, 2011, 04:53 PM
    Thanks

Jun 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
    I actually attempted to "clean" it by poking around inside with some q-tips soaked in rubbing alcohol. When I put a tape in, it played fast for a few seconds, and slowly returned to normal speed, but then sped right back up. Any further thoughts?
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2011, 05:28 AM

More cleaning, capstan needs to be shiney, and pinch roller back clean to the rubber?

Jul 1, 2011, 05:16 PM
    I fixed it. I had some VHS cleaning fluid, but no cleaner tape, so I just took a blank tape and put some of the tape cleaner inside it. I played it in the tape player, switched sides, and rewound and fast forwarded and it's all back to normal. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 06:31 AM

Good Deal, we had to dissemble. Wanted to dissemble?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he a player, or just playing games? [ 4 Answers ]

So a guy I had eye contact with at a coffee shop ended up posting a personal ad about me, and when I saw him a week later at the same place at the same time we started talking. He was very persistent on getting to take me out for the first time, and after two weeks of matching schedules and calling...

Radio, tape player on MercedesBenz ML320 won't work [ 1 Answers ]

Battery was dead and had to be boosted. Radio won't work and I don't have a radio manual. I do have the code but not sure how to install it.

Playing downloads on DVD player [ 2 Answers ]

If I save a downloaded video file (say, one that plays in Windows Media Player) to a DVD in a PC's DVD drive, how can I then play it in a regular DVD player connected to the TV? Does this require special software or hardware? Thanks in advance.

Playing mp3s on my dvd player [ 2 Answers ]

Have an rca dvd player and using easy cd creator 4 to burn mps on a cd why won't they play on my dvd player

View more questions Search