Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 02:10 PM
    Does any one know what mormons believe?
    I heard that the relgion started some where in the US, but don't know anything about it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 30, 2011, 02:32 PM
    As good a place as any to start: Mormons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 02:33 PM

It started near where I grew up, near Rochester, NY. (I have walked through the sacred grove and climbed the holy hill.)

Mormons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 06:18 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    In an earlyer discution with you when I quaoted wikipedia you said that I can't believe what written on the web site?

Quoting wondergirl
    'And you believe what you read in Wikipedia?' from the discusion will poor be amongst us.

Der
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 06:45 PM

in an earlyer discution with you when i quaoted wikipedia you said that i can't belive what writen on the web site?

You said the Wiki information on Appalachia is correct, so I figured you trust that source. That's why I used it in this thread.

The other link I posted is from the Mormon church itself (just in case you doubt Wikipedia).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 06:56 PM

Wiki is a very poor source but it is commonly used. And if you know nothing it is a start. But asking for info about them, is like asking what does a catholic believe or what does a Muslim believe,

Do you have any specific areas of question.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Wiki... But asking for info about them, is like asking what does a catholic believe ....
    This is TOO funny.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2011, 05:49 AM
    Chuck makes a good point, and let us not forget that catholics, muslims and mormoms all believe something very different about Jesus. To the Christian, catholics included, Jesus is the eternal saviour, to the muslims he is a prophet, to the mormons he is the son but not God as the christians believe
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
    On the surface they believe very closely to the rest of American Christianity. Most Christians call it a cult as it is an offshoot of mainstream belief. I am on the fence about the labeling it as a cult. The center of Christianity and every one of it's denominations is still that Jesus Christ came, died and rose from the grave for sinful humanity. This core belief is essential for the doctrine of salvation... which they hold just like every other denomination. It's when you really start studying their beliefs on the after life that they make a major turn from everyone else. Even their prophets have made some major claims contradictory to the Bible, which they still claim as divine authority. From the beginning their founder Joseph Smith had, at best, a sketchy history. It doesn't take much studying to find their history to be filled with problems. I am one of the few people who will gladly talk with them if they come to my home.

Was there a specific doctrine you were wondering about or just the religion as a whole?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:01 PM

Joseph Smith, if my history serves me right, lead his people (church of latter day saints) (protestant connection) west to escape persecution in the east, but Smith died before they reached salt lake city. Brigham Young then took over. Some of this history is lost on me, this is about all can remember from what I have read. It is start, but is a purely american religion constituted by Brigham Young. Of course, they do promote mutlliple marriages as far as I know.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Of course, they do promote mutlliple marriages as far as I know.
    The main church body does not any longer (the practice was disavowed by the LDS Church in 1890, plus polygamy is illegal in the U.S.), but fundamentalist LDS groups do.
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:07 PM

Polygamy may be illegal in the US, but seems to me those who believe in multiple unions move to Alaska or possible into Canada to avoid persecution but have heard they are sought out anyway. I mean how can you hide one man having multiple unions and the children resulting from those unions in the school system, either in Canada or the US; but maybe those children are home schooled?

Tick
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
    Polygamy may be illegal in the US, but seems to me those who believe in multiple unions move to Alaska or possible into Canada to avoid persecution but have heard they are sought out anyway. I mean how can you hide one man having multiple unions and the children resulting from those unions in the school system, either in Canada or the US; but maybe those children are home schooled??

tick
    There are LDS enclaves in the U.S. (a famous one in the backwaters of AZ) that believe in polygamy, and yes, their children are either homeschooled or the groups support their own parochial schools. Teen males who are competition for the young women whom the older males want as wives are kicked out of the group.
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    . Teen males who are competition for the young women whom the older males want as wives are kicked out of the group.
    That sounds primitive, almost very territorial as in wolf packs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:16 PM
    That sounds primitive, almost very territorial as in wolf packs.
    Who is that cute teen girl going to want to marry -- the buff young teen male or the grizzled old poop?

Here's a blog that lists a number of fundamentalist settlements, their membership, and their characteristics --

http://illegiterati.com/2008/04/26/f...-guide-part-2/

Also,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_fundamentalism
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Who is that cute teen girl gonna want to marry -- the buff young teen male or the grizzled old poop?
    The one who has the better accoutrements.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:24 PM
    The one who has the better accoutrements.
    And what's your definition of "accoutrements"?

Why would the older men kick out the younger ones if they were confident in their accoutrements?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:30 PM

But then how is the "multiple wives with multiple children so much different than those other elements in our society who have several children by different women, Call them "PLAYERS" or they are just staying over since they are the babies daddy and so on. The main difference I see is that those with multiple wives actually care for, support and are there for the family. And the women know about each other.

As long as they don't get a state marriage license, what is the real difference
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And the women know about each other.
    Most women don't want to share their man with two or more other women. Ask Lady Toni. Would she share you in a marriage? :D
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 3, 2011, 04:44 PM
    Yeah, this is one of those groups that one could just go on and on with what they believe... especially what they believe versus what they USED to believe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I believe her? [ 1 Answers ]

I've never trusted anyone as much as I trusted my ex girlfriend, she's not the type to go out with other guy and she doesn't really like attention off other boys. Our relationship went through a bit of a bad patch just before she went on holiday with her friends. When she came back she didn't want...

Title of a movie about the mormons journey via the hole in the wall in the south [ 0 Answers ]

The real history was :In November, 1879, a group of Mormon pioneers headed south out of Escalante to colonize the San Juan Mission, now the town of Bluff. Rather than endure a long, tedious journey around Glen Canyon, they decided to create a shortcut across the canyon. Scouts identified a route...

Anoying mormons want to baptize us! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey about a month ago two elders came around the neighborhood and I happened to be out taking my snakes for a walk when they walked up to me and started talking to me. Of course I wasn't going to say no I felt bad. Well now they have been coming over and its gotten to the point that we leave the...

Do you believe too? [ 1 Answers ]

It all started when I was a child seeing people having imaginary friends never did I think my daughter would too. It started when she was about 6months old laughing and babbling at tings I can't see.She started talking to someone when she was about 1 and a half I asked her who she was talking to...

View more questions Search