Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tam44wisc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Gas pipe for stove is only capped off. Do I need to install a valve or something?
    I have electric stove now. I just bought a gas stove and the only pipe coming out of the wall is a small pipe capped off. No valve or anything. Do I need to turn the gas off somewhere else? Do I need to install a valve before I can hook up the gas stove?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 12:27 PM

Hi Tam...

If there isn't a shutoff below the stove in the basement (if present) then you'll definitely need to shut off the gas at the gas meter and then later, when the work is done, you'll need to relight the pilots at most of your gas appliances.

If there is no shutoff below the stove then you will need a shutoff right behind the stove and a 3 foot flexible gas connector (see images). You'll also need some NON-teflon based pipe dope, a few short 1/2" black nipples, a 2 foot nipple (maybe), a couple 1/2" galvanized clips, and a couple 1/2" black malleable elbows to hook all this up.

DO NOT use teflon tape on any of the threads (as seen below...that picture is wrong but shows the transition from black pipe to the flexible connector) and DO NOT use any pipe dope on the flared fittings of the connector...only on the regular threaded fittings.

Don 't forget to install the ANTI.-TIP DEVICE supplied with the stove (see image.. should look something like this). This device saves lives so please install it, OK?

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Jun 28, 2011, 12:37 PM
    You're the best! Wish me luck!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 12:56 PM

Also, to clarify, use non-teflon based pipe dope on all threads including the regular threads of the FLARED transition fittings.

DO NOT use pipe dope on the flare or flare fitting threads or nut, OK? If you read the instructions on the flexible connector it will confirm this.

Good luck!

Jun 28, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Right now there is only a maybe 2" elbow coming out of the wall. Not the long black one shown in your image. I would need that also correct?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
    I really like the reply of massplumber2008. He is an asset to the trade. DrTom4444
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 02:40 PM

Drtom4444, thank you. I take these anti.-tip devices pretty seriously as they really do save lives, and appreciate your positive words, for sure!

Tam, yeah, you need to get to within about 4-6 inches of the floor so you can connect the shutoff and then the flexible connector to the stove. It will be a tight fit in behind the stove fitting the final connection, but you can do it and then angle the stove so you can climb out (or climb over stove).

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do install a main line cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped. [ 23 Answers ]

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line. House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960. Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. ...

Install Gas Shutoff Valve for stove. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 " gas line coming into my kitchen of my new house. I bought a 1/2" shutoff valve, 3 " Nipple, and 1/2" cap. In order to connect to a flex line I assume the nipple needs to come out of the shutoff valve (F/F Threads). Give me some guidance as how to install the line. I also bought some...

How to install pipe from stove suction fan? [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved in a new house, and find the stove suction fan has no pipe out! So cooking smoke is always in room. The kitchen is far from outside wall, and I don't want to lead a pipe outside directly. So maybe it is possible to connect the suction pipe to the exhaust pipe of furnace? Thanks...

Attaching properly gas flex pipe to gas pipe and gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

How do I properly attach the flex pipe to the gas stove on one end and the supply pipe on the other end? Do I need a gas poxy? If so what is the proper method of application--on both sides of the attachments (flex pipe and gas supply pipe/stove) or on just one, how much is enough? How tight do I...

Attaching a gas pipe to a new gas stove [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new gas stove replacing an electric stove. How do I correctly attach the gas line?

View more questions Search