Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xenmas Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 08:26 AM
    What can I do if my prepaid card is declined?
    This has been a nightmare. I have a prepaid debit card through Walmart. Big mistake, I know, but this is the first time I've ever had problems and I'm not entirely certain it is their fault.

What has happened is this. Wednesday I reloaded my card, bringing the balance to $105.60. Thursday, I attempted to make an online purchase with my card in the amount of $69. The vendor emailed me to inform me that his bank (BoA) attempted to charge the card, but could only make a partial debit which he voided. Obviously, my first reaction is to check my account and make certain no unexpected transactions went through. What I saw was the following pending charges:

$39.60 credit pending
    $39.60 debit pending
    $69.00 debit pending

I called to confirm that the $69 portion didn't clear, and he checked with his bank who informed him that it did not. The following day, the two $39.60 transactions went away, but the one I was expecting did not. I called again, and he checked again and told me they didn't have my money.

Anyway. I called the Walmart Card number today, and they informed me that the charges would be put back in two weeks! Needless to say, I chewed them a new one and the charges will be back Wednesday. Still not acceptable, but guess I can't really expect any better.

Now my question is this. Who has my money? Someone out there is collecting interest on $69. A shipment that I was expect to receive this week is postponed until next week (Not the end of the world, but incredibly inconvenient). Is there anyone I should be calling about this?

I know that in the end it amounts to a few cents one their end, but the actions as a whole are immoral if not illegal.

Thanks for any advice. I'm livid about this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 02:51 PM

It is common for funds to be "held" pending approval, same issue if you used it for a motel room, they would hold out an amount for the room and put it in a froze status, but then actuually change it again for the amount at checkout, and it will take about two weeks for the first froze amount to be added back to your card.

This happens at a lot of gas stations also.

This is one large difference between debit cards and real credit cards.

It is perfectly legal, and not even immoral, since it is common knowledge that is how they work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 03:17 PM

Walmart is using your $69 for 2 weeks. Why not open a checking account at a normal bank and get a debit card that you can use like a credit card for online purchases. Saves a lot of headaches in the end and you can go into the local bank in person and add funds or ask questions to a real person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I been accuse not paying for gas/card declined [ 3 Answers ]

Hello please help me if this would be a case? I have been accused not paying for a gas. The gas station have my car license plate and edited video of the car and me.I been told my card was declined after I left the store but I verified with my bank and there was no transsaction attempted or...

How to start a prepaid telephone card [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start a international calling card business?

How much is a PrePaid Visa Card? [ 2 Answers ]

How much?

Student credit/debit/prepaid card [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently a student and I'm not qualified to have credit card or checking account I just don't want to screw myself up I don't want to give out any personnel info... as you know there are a lot of scam-meres out there looking to get people who don't know too much, like students etc. Lets get...

Can the attach a lien on a prepaid reloadable debit card ? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm thinking of applying for a prepaid visa/mastercard reloadable debit card such as Rush card, accountnow etc. because my checking account was frozen sice there's a judgement against me, can they attach a lien on a prepaid debit card ? Thanks and Happy new year to all.

View more questions Search