Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robyns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2011, 04:10 PM
    My cat seems paralyzed
    I found my cat a little while ago lying in the yard. She was breathing but not moving. When I bent down and touched her, she meowed and lifted her head a little, but she didn't move her lower body at all. There were flys swarming all around her back end. It was about to storm, so I wanted to get her in out of the weather. I picked her up and moved her into our shed. When I laid her down, she just laid in the position I had put her in and she cried. She seems to be paralyzed. I don't know how long she has been like this. She was OK yesterday evening. I went to church this morning and was out and about for most of the day. Does anyone have any ideas on this? She is carrying babies and I'm really worried about her.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2011, 05:08 PM

Why haven't you taken her to the vet?
    It sounds like possibly an saddle thrombus, which is very painful. Take her to the vet. NOW.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
    I agree, that is a possibility, in any event she needs medical attention, the sooner the better.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 06:11 PM

I agree with the above posters. It's long past time to get her to a vet.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
    All very sound advice... she needs to have a vet look at her.

One other thing... you mentioned that flies were swarming all around her rear. Check this area closely as soon as possible for fly eggs (little white things stuck to the fur) or small maggots that have just hatched. If you find any, wipe them away as completely as possible. Flies are attracted to these areas and will happily lay eggs in any moist material they may find. Normally, an animal is able to move and keep the flies away, but in her case apparently not.

Best wishes
    manamo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2014, 09:11 PM
    I just ran into this question and even though is from a while back I was wondering if you figured out what was going on with your cat. Today I found my neighbor's cat in the same condition you described and I am really worried for her (the cat). She was on our front yard, paralyzed from the waist down and flies all around her back end. I hope my neighbor takes her to the Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by robyns View Post
    I found my cat a little while ago lying in the yard. She was breathing but not moving. When I bent down and touched her, she meowed and lifted her head a little, but she didn't move her lower body at all. There were flys swarming all around her back end. It was about to storm, so I wanted to get her in out of the weather. I picked her up and moved her into our shed. When I laid her down, she just laid in the position I had put her in and she cried. She seems to be paralyzed. I don't know how long she has been like this. She was OK yesterday evening. I went to church this morning and was out and about for most of the day. Does anyone have any ideas on this? She is carrying babies and I'm really worried about her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

80s movie - paralyzed boy [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to find a movie for our son. There was a movie that was put out in the eighties about a boy who was learning to team rope, and suddenly became paralyzed from the waist down. His grandpa put him on a horse and taught him to rope despite his disability. We would like to find this...

Diving horse becomes paralyzed. [ 1 Answers ]

Must have been early late 80's... early 90's... diving horse becomes paralyzed and there was a young girl who might have been the owner/trainer... my friend believes her dad was involved as well. Thanks!

Paralyzed guy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Folks---I've been trying to remember the name of a recent movie that's shot from the point of view of a guy who is paralyzed and has only a small circle of vision. (Most of the movie is beautifully filmed memories & flashbacks.) I had wanted to see it on the big screen, but now that it's...

Half my cats mouth seems paralyzed [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, around 2 days ago my cat did something weird, she pee'd and pooped on a human, and was acting really weird. Now my cat seems like half her mouth has gone dead, she can't eat or drink water. We can't take her to the vet sense it happened on christmas eve. She is drooling, being very lazy like...

Paralyzed Beagle [ 4 Answers ]

My friend's beagle just became paralyzed last Tuesday. She needed emergency surgery for a slipped disc and is now paralyzed. We are still hoping for the best, since the Vet said it can take 2 weeks to really tell. But, so far, it does not seem promising. We're having a tough time because the...

View more questions Search