Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jan 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
    The Importance of Irrelavent Courses.
    Hi, I'm under a bit of a rush to get an answer from here, but I'd still like an answer that's confident. I live in Canada, but I'm sure the system isn't too far different from any other place concerning university. I'm going into Honors Art and Literature and planning on getting a Bachelors and then a Masters in English, History and German. However, I'm taking Calculus, only to please my parents and because I originally took it for a previous job aspiration. I am not good at math, I will assure you. If my Calculus mark sits at a 63%, will I have a good chance of being accepted into university still if the course is entirely irrelevant on the subject (my other marks are fairly high, sitting at the mid to high 80's, its just that my average is not 80% due to my Calculus mark).
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    I am not an academic advisor but I noticed your question remained unanswered and thought you might feel ignored.

Yes, the calculus mark, although unrelated in the field you are anticipating entering, will effect your overall grade point average. As to whether the university you apply to overlooks it is very difficult to say. I would like to think it depends on where you would like to go to continue your studies. But, I believe most schools initially look at the gpa and make their decisions for entry upon that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
    I will say that a 63 is failing and to fail a class can efffect getting into some colleges, others it will have little effect.

And one class will not effect highely your over all grade average for all 4 years of high school which is looked at. But not that highly at least in the US, it is your score on college entrance exams that have a lot of bearing.

And believe me you will be glad to have that course on the entrance exam.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I don't know about the Canadian system, but here in the US, yes 63% is failing. As a matter of fact, here in the US you must get no lower than a 75% in some courses. Anything lower than an 80% in my courses (nursing) is a failing grade.

Now, with that said. Your overall GPA is what most colleges and universities look at here in the US. The failing grade WILL affect your GPA. Although the course may not be necessary for your course of study, it will lower your GPA. If you feel you are going to fail it, get into a tutoring program, heavens knows tutoring saved my booty in all of the math courses I had to take just to apply to Nursing School.

Good luck to you and STUDY HARD!!

(Well back to studying for me now, LOL)
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Feb 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
    In Canada 50+ is a pass. Like so:

0 - 50: Fail
    50-60: D's
    60-70: C's
    70-80: B's
    80+: A's
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Then it looks like 63 is passing. But I would still get a tutor. It is not just for the higher score, but for the better understanding of the subject.

Good luck.
    IkoIkoComic Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

Mar 14, 2007, 12:34 AM
    I'm perfectly happy with the low marks I've received in assorted Math courses- C- to C+'s all the way from Grade 8 to Linear Algebra, Graph Theory and upper level Calculus in University.
    (Here's a tip: Upper-level University math courses suck.)

What you want to do is look at the University's entrance requirements. Many Canadian Universities average your mark over a smaller selection of "Core Academic" courses with Provincial Examinations. (Doing well on your Provincials is *really* important to getting into University- and for you, especially your English and History Provincials)

The best thing to do would be to take a close look at the entrance requirements for your University- and not just the University, but the *SPECIFIC PROGRAM* that you're looking at entering. Many of them will discount the AP courses altogether.
    If you're not a fan of reading reams of Course Calendars and Program Guides and what-have-you, book an appointment with an enrollment advisor at the University you plan to attend.

On a side note, woah- you've got a lot of Bachelors and Masters' on your plate, there. Perhaps a chat with an Academic Advisor will give you some more focus, because finishing 4 Bachelors Degrees and 3 Masters Degrees will take.. oh, say, a quarter of a century, or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ECCE Courses [ 5 Answers ]

I'm seriously looking for information relating to courses for ECCE (Early Child Care Education). Could someone please tell me the various schools and colleges in Mumbai, India where this course is offered? Any help in this regard would be useful... ?? Thanks in advance..

Importance of a designation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Iimportance of designation ?

The importance of Rigor mortis [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why rigor mortis is important to the pathologist. I need info on it for a table in my assessment. Any help would be invaluable.:p

View more questions Search