Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shubita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Avoiding Capital Gain Taxes
    I am looking at buying 25% of my mother's property (she is still alive and living in this home). The reason for this purchase is to offset one of my siblings debt and to buy him out of his 25% inheritance of this property upon her death. If I have my mother change ownership of her home to 75% her and 25% me - will I avoid paying capital gain taxes when I inherit the remaining 75% of the home upon her death - as I will already have been a partial owner?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 27, 2011, 06:49 AM

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish here. There are no capital gains when a person dies and property is passed to the heirs. The cost basis of the property gets "stepped up" to the fair market value as of the date of death of the decedant. If you buy 1/4 of the property now, your mother would be responsible for paying capital gains tax now on the portion she sells to you (unless the sale qualifies for an exemption).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income & Capital Gain taxes interaction? [ 1 Answers ]

I think I understand the UK Income and Capital Gain tax system but I am not too sure how they interact between each other. I have a Limited company I use for IT consulting and here is my situation for this tax year as an example: -I will pay myself a gross salary of 12k a year. -I will also...

Avoiding NYC Resident Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Last month, I just moved into Manhattan from upstate NY (an hour away from NYC)where my family lives and started in my first job at the same time. In our employee portal, I changed my address from my upstate NY address to my NY City address so I don't have to go home too often to pick-up mail or...

Avoiding Capital Gains/Rental properties [ 1 Answers ]

We own a rental property in the same town we live for 25 years. No Mortgage. T avoid Capital Gains, can my husband move into this house on paper for two years to claim it as his primary residence? What does he have to change? Period? Do we have to file sepeately? Any advice would be appreciated.

Capital gain taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello atlanta tax expert, yesterday I asked a question about capital gain taxes and I didn't give all the figures, sorry about that, Maybeit will help with my new question, my wife inherited 25% of some property that her mother owned when she passed away in 1997 50% was owned by her aunt and 25% by...

View more questions Search