Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennieshep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 06:01 AM
    How to stick slates to concrete?
    What adhesive should I use to stick natural slate to my concrete fire place?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 08:18 AM

There isn't an adhesive for a slate to concrete application. Slate is normally laid horizontally and cement is used. If these are the large random pieces I am thinking of, I have an entire patio of slate. Normally put down to find pieces that work together, first. This could not be done in a vertical application as they are too heavy.

tick
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
    You can use thinset but will need to build up from the bottom and make sure they are well bonded until it sets. Look at "you tube" and enter " applying stone veneer", see what shows up.
    Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You can use thinset but will need to build up from the bottom and make sure they are well bonded until it sets. Look at "you tube" and enter " applying stone veneer", see what shows up.
    I hope it is veneer, will be thincut and easier to deal with, but then slate is very brittle as well. I had assumed he meant the rough cut slate pieces one uses for patios. Of course the beauty of using slate is matching the pieces so they fill in gaps. OP can't do that unless they lay them out on the floor first to get a good idea of how they want it all to fit.

Tick
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Slate is hard to do because of the varying thickness. I just did 2 hearths in our log home and I used guaged slate tiles, 4X4. I also had someone do the 13ft. High chimney since I was a bit leery of getting the stone to stick, particularly at that height. I had visions of stone peeling off but everything worked out just perfect. Brian
    Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Slate is hard to do because of the varying thickness. I just did 2 hearths in our log home and I used guaged slate tiles, 4X4. I also had someone do the 13ft. high chimney since I was a bit leery of getting the stone to stick, particularly at that height. I had visions of stone peeling off but everything worked out just perfect. Brian
    I love my slate outside. Don't think I will ever have to approach a project as you did, sounds very nice though. My outdoor slate is beautiful in a garden environment because when wet, all the muted colours show up and it is really quite pretty.

Slate walkways, etc. are an ongoing project with me.

Do you mean by 4 x 4 that they are cut that way and not random sizes?

tick
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I sealed my hearth's to get a wet colo(u)r.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to pour concrete between the roots that stick out of the ground of a maple. [ 2 Answers ]

I can't cut the grass around the maple . I was wondering about pouring concrete between the many roots that are preventing the cutting and then square OFF THE SIGHT>? BAD IDEA? I WON'T BE COVERING THE ROOTS WITH CEMENT.

Thin set will not stick to concrete floor [ 0 Answers ]

I'm putting tile in the kitchen and removed the old linoleum. The concrete is very smooth and I can't get thinset to stick. Can I use a acid or do I have to grind. I have tried a modified thinset and acrylpro. The acrylpro sucked and I had to pull up all the tile and clean it, that stuff did not...

Peel& Stick Tile over Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

My wife an I were going to buy peel and stick tile from home depot to put in our basement. We were not planning on just relying on the adhesive on the tile, we were also going to set the tile in a separate adhesive. The gentleman at home depot didn't recommend peel and stick over concrete floors...

Tile won't stick to concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

We are re-modeling our bathroom in a 27 year old home. Have tore up the cement bed in the shower, replacing our shower liner and then pouring our mortar mix. When starting to lay the tile down, we find that our pre-mixed adhesive is not holding the tile down very good. It seems as though the mortar...

View more questions Search