Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johncoakley2011 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
    Physics Question on Newton's Laws and the Equations of Motion
    A train is travelling up a 3.73 degree incline at a speed of 3.25 metres per second, when the last cart breaks free and begins to coast without friction.
    (I) How long does it take for the last cart to come to rest momentarily (ii) How far did the last cart travel before (momentarily) coming to rest (iii) For a real train, the friction between the cart and the track can be described by a friction coefficient. Find this coefficient, assuming that the time it takes for the cart to come to rest is 3 seconds.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 12:27 AM

Post your attempt at the question please.

Hint: Use energy instead of kinematics

Jun 25, 2011, 03:52 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Ok, thanks - not sure how to apply energy equations here though. The way we were taught is that for part (I), using Newton's Laws: mg sin theta = ma. (Equation 1). So a = g sin theta = 0.64 ms-2. I presume this is negative for deceleration (if the cart is continuing upwards for a short while, or moving against g).Then, using V = V(0) + at, where V = 0 and V(0) = 3.25 ms-1, I got 5.08 seconds for t. For part (ii), I used the other equation of motion, V squared = V(0) squared + 2ax to work out x, which gave me 8.25 metres. For part (iii), I firstly worked out what the acceleration would be if t was 3 seconds (and not 5.08 seconds as above). Then I added the extra term for the frictional force (Fk) to Equation 1 above: mg sin theta - Fk = ma. (perhaps this should be mg sin theta + Fk = ma (since both arrows for the first 2 terms would be pointing down the slope). However, if mg sin theta is negative (car is moving upwards against gravity), perhaps it should be - mg sin theta + Fk = ma?
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 07:35 AM

Okay, I was in a hurry earlier and for the first one, you do have to use kinematics :o It's the second part that can be done independently from the first part using energy.

(i) Using g = 9.81 m/s^2, I get 5.09 s. I guess you used 9.8 m/s^2 as g. My comment on that part is that if you know g as 9.81 m/s^2 and have a question where the figures are given to 3 significant figures, you use 9.81 m/s^2. Otherwise, if the figures are given to 2 s.f. you can go safely with 9.8 m/s^2

(ii) Well, of course since I used 9.81 m/s^2, I got slightly larger value of 8.275.. = 8.28 m

Here's what you could do too if the question doesn't specific what method to use:

(Kinetic energy lost by the cart is converted to gravitational potential energy and when there is no more kinetic energy, it means all the kinetic energy was converted to potential energy)
    From there, the vertical height the cart travelled can be obtained by solving for h.

Then, the distance along the slope is obtained by using trigonometry:

(iii) Okay for this part, you started right.

Friction is against motion and so, it is also in the direction: down the slope so that you have Friction + Gravity Component = Net Force

All being in the same direction. Can you try that?

Jun 25, 2011, 10:42 PM
    OK, thanks. Yes, using the energy equation for part (ii) makes sense. For part (iii), I guess it also makes sense that the friction force and the component of the force from gravity are added together since both arrows are pointing down the slope. I got confused with the cart moving upwards against gravity. So I got: mg sin theta + U(k)N = ma , where U(k) is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction. This then gave me: mg sin theta + U(k) mg cos theta = ma. Cancelling out the masses, I got g sin theta + U(k) g cos theta = a (although I'm not sure if a is supposed to be negative if the cart is decelerating). Using the value of a = 1.083 seconds when t = 3 seconds (I worked this out from V = V(o) + at, where the final velocity V = 0 and the initial velocity V(o) = 3.25), I got 0.638 + 9.789 U(k) = 1.083, which gave me a value of 0.045 for the coefficient of kinetic friction (hopefully, I made no errors here)
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 11:25 PM

I see no errors there. Well done! :)

Jun 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
    That's great. Many thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Question on Vector Addition and Newton's Laws [ 7 Answers ]

A child on a toboggan (combined weight 70kg) is pulled from rest on a level surface by two friends. The first friend pulls with a force of 100N in the North-West direction and the second friend pulls with a force of 60N in the direction 20 degrees East of North. What is the net force exerted on the...

Newton's Laws of Motion [ 3 Answers ]

A certain bag of groceries has a mass of 10 kilograms and a weight of about.. A. 1N B. 10N C. 100N

Newton's Laws of Motion [ 2 Answers ]

What would be an example of Newtown's first law of motion using a bat and ball? What would be an example of Newtown's second law of motion using a bat and ball?

Newton's 3 laws of motion [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: what are 5 ways Newton's 3 laws of motion are involved in tennis.

Newton's laws of motion [ 7 Answers ]

A person with a blackbelt in karate has a fist that has a mass of 0.60 kg. Starting from rest, this fist attains a velocity of 9.0 m/s in 0.20 s. What is the magnitude of the average net force applied to the fist to achieve this level of performance? My teacher hasn't given us notes and the...

View more questions Search