Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Asking for charity at store entrances and checkouts
    Have many other people noticed this annoying practice lately? It got really bad around last Christmas, but thankfully, seems to be stopping. I personally think it's very rude to try and shame people in public places into giving to charity. I give to animal and environmental causes on my own and don't like to be put on the spot in front of strangers. I hate the self-righteous look some cashiers give when I say no and you can tell they're thinking "you can afford wine but won't give a dollar to Africa, shame on you." It's a free country and I can give or not give to whatever charity I want. Anyone else feel the same way and what are some ways to get stores to stop doing this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 01:52 PM

I never assume to know what other people are thinking BUT, yes, I find the canisters, solicitations, as you cash out to be very annoying. In my area everything is "round up to the dollar."

If you don't like the practice, write the company's president, store manager, CEO.

I have never felt like I'm being put on the spot in front of strangers, though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 02:04 PM

Yes, why would you assume a check out clerk making 7 bucks a hour would think anything, except perhaps, I hate to ask this but I am required to, so I can keep this awlful paying job.

Next it is because many people have stopped giving to charities. For example MDA has had to cut almost 2/3 of its help to people in wheel chairs on the normal yearly amount of help.

Churches are passing a extra collection plates many times.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 02:25 PM

I, at times, am annoyed by the red kettle, but charities are not dumb, they could on guilt. I am not saying this is bad or good but they know full well what they are doing. My same grocery store also makes it a practice to hire mentally challenged young adults as baggers. They may be a bit awkward and don't always do a perfect job, the manager knows what he is doing and I applaud his plan to give them some meaning and income. If you are moved by a charity then give, if not, move past them but please do not do anything to prevent them from doing what they are doing.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2011, 10:31 AM

I don't mind it at all - these organizations are trying to raise funds to help people in need, and it's tough in this economy. Giving up the extra change we won't miss anyway is not that big of a deal, and is a productive way for charities to get by in lean times.

I often say "no thanks" and feel no need to apologize or make excuses. Other times I say "yes".

I'm far more annoyed that every single time I shop at certain stores I'm asked to apply for their credit card - even if I make multiple purchases in a single day in the same store, I'll be asked multiple times to apply for a card. The first question isn't so bad but I do get annoyed when I say "no" and am then confronted with nthe sales "argument" about what percent and dollar amount I would save if I got a card and so on. I am also very annoyed when I shop in a store and they ask for my email, phone number or zip code - particularly if I"m paying cash. I refuse the information and am not shy about saying, "I don't give that out and your store shouldn't ask - too much identity theft". If I'm writing a check, I don't mind producing some ID but otherwise, if I'm paying cash for a pair of jeans, really - I don't owe that clerk personal information about myself - we are not entering into a long-term relationship!

But if someone wants to ask for a dollar for the Humane Society at the pet store, or MDA at the grocery store, no problem - just drop it after I say ". If I'm writing a check, I don't mind producing some ID but otherwise, if I'm paying cash for a pair of jeans, really - I don't owe that clerk personal information about mysef - we are not entering into a long-term relationship!

But if someone wants to ask for a dollar for the Humane Society at the pet store, or MDA at the grocery store, no problem - just drop it after I say " the first time is all.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 02:48 PM

Oh, yes, the "open a charge card and save X%." Drives me crazy.

I give a dollar amount to my local animal charity every month, straight out of my checking account, and I don't even pause at the canisters.

I also don't get embarrassed if I say no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the duties of a store keeper? And what are the document handle by a store-kee [ 3 Answers ]

What is the duties of a store keeper? And what are the document handle by a store-keeper

Is there a smoking ban radius around public building entrances [ 1 Answers ]

After having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into the pub. I was wondering is there a radius in which smokers are not allowed to smoke around an entrance? English pub. Thank you for you time Wasn't to sure which category to put the question in? frien_dd

General Store Owners' own personal purchases from the store [ 1 Answers ]

We have just started to run a general store as a family partnership of 4 people. We take out what we need for our own consumption but do we need to account for this in our yearly accounts please?

View more questions Search