Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Jun 24, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Sister-In-Law has our stuff and won't give it back, what do we do?
    About 2 weeks ago my sister-in-law's boyfriend borrowed $60 from my husband. They refused to give it back and an argument insued. While from this sprouted the fact that my husband has a little girls scooter and some speakers of theirs, and they have my husbands $100+ tools and our tent. We have been trying since to set up an "exchange" to give them their stuff and get ours back. They keep on stalling though. Both of them have a reputation of pawning stuff so we think that may be what they did. We have reciepts showing that the tools are outs (not the tent though). We told them that if we don't get our stuff soon we are going to call the cops. They keep saying that won't do us any good cause we have their stuff too. However we have text messages of this whole endeavor and from those proof that we have been nothing but cooperative and TRYING to give them their stuff (though there have of course been some nasty words exchanged). What legal grounds do we have to get our stuff back? PLEASE ONLY PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE IN LAW OR LAW ENFORCEMENT! No offense to anyone just want to make sure we have our ducks in order here.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 11:52 AM

Please don't attempt to direct who will or who will not answer. This is an open message board and (sometimes unfortunately) everyone is entitled to an "opinion."

What exactly do you want advice about?

How to get your "stuff" back? Sue them in Small Claims Court. Prove the property is yours and provide info on the cost - receipts always work!

How to get the loan back? Sue them in Small Claims Court. Oral agreements are binding.

Will the Police get involved? I very much doubt it. This is a back and forth argument, more civil than criminal (nothing was stolen), and the Police are not going to settle a civil argument, particularly when it's "sort of" family.

When you sue in Small Claims Court they will probably countersue for the value of their "stuff" which they claim you have.

A Judge will decide which side is truthful and award damages - or the return of the "stuff."

You can always find someone neutral to accept their "stuff" and return it to them - if anyone wants to get in the middle of all of this. That, of course, does not settle the loan and/or whether all of their "stuff" came back.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud View Post
    ... my sister-in-law's boyfriend ...
    Does her husband know she has a "boyfriend"?

As Shakespeare wrote, "neither a borrower nor a lender be".

Jun 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
    At JudyKayTee: Actually we can say that the tools were stolen. My Mother-In-Law had him working on her Jimmy and he was using our tools. We told him previously he was never to take the tools off our property. The day that the argument ensued we found out that he did. Also (don't know if it helps much) but the boyfriend has been in jail several times for theift. Our main question is if we call the cops will they help us go over and get our stuff. Again we have been TRYING to give them their stuff back, we just want someone to go with us to their house because the boyfriend is VIOLENT. He actually attacked me once when him and her dated the first time (that relationship broke up because he abused her, she claims he's not now).

At AKLawyer: What??
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 08:10 AM

No, I don't think the Police will get involved. If you had reported the tools missing immediately upon finding out they were missing it would be different. No, the Police will NOT get involved in a civil matter.

Re-read what I posted. I think I covered it all.

Jun 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Couldn't find the edit button since they remodeled this place so I'll edit this way. What we have been trying to do is set up a time and place where my Mother-In-Law was going to meet my Sister-In-Law and they were going to exchange the stuff. Then they changed the date to Monday last minute, my Mother-In-Law said no and we knew it was because they were supposed to go camping this weekend and probably wanted to use our tent. Now they are saying that they aren't going to give it to us at all pretty much.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2011, 02:00 PM

- And I am telling you that your only recourse is Small Claims Court. The Police are not going to be interested.

So it's either Small Claims OR forget about getting your "stuff" back.

As I said - there are no other choices at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Demanding Sister in Law (brother-in-law wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since I got engaged to my fiancé his brother's wife has not stopped making comments about me. Initially it was about my weight, which I admit was a problem, but I have since lost it. Then she began talking to my parents about how much more I am getting from the family in wedding presents etc...

Do You Give Stuff Away? [ 5 Answers ]

What do you do with your stuff when you are tired of it, have no use for it, etc? I hate to sell things. I really just don't want to be bothered. I usually take a load of stuff to Goodwill. Or, I ask people I know if they want any of the things I am unloaded.

Why won't he give me back my stuff? [ 17 Answers ]

My ex broke up with me 11 days ago. That day I told him he has my mom's DVD and few insignificant things. I asked him if he could drop it off at my desk the next morning at work. He agreed and said that I had his oil pan. The next day I got to work and the DVD was not waiting for me. I thought...

Should I give a ring back that was given to me by my ex monther-in-law? [ 2 Answers ]

Since my divorce in 2003, I have been trying to get back some sentimental items of mine that were left at my old house (yearbooks, family photos, etc... ). My ex and his friends moved my belongings into an apartment when we separtated and I wasn't 100% sure it was over between us, that's why I...

View more questions Search