Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Yes, those are valid moving expenses.
    gushoepfner Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 06:29 PM
    After spend some time trying to understand better the best way to fill out the Tax Return I discovered some useful informations that I would like to share with you. If you have more useful information, please post here to others like us.

I arrived in 8/2006 with H1B with my wife and my daughter in H4 and the basic question was, which one should I fill, the 1040NR (non resident) or 1040 (Resident)?

1) I can chose to be treat as a US resident. To this, I have to fill out the form 1040 as a Dual Status Aliens and opt by First Year Choice (see publication 519 page 8, 9, 10 and 11).

2) Since I am going to meet the conditions of the First-Year Choice only in May, I have to apply for an Application for Automatic Extension of time to file U.S. individual income Tax
    Return (form 4868). I am not sure if my wife and/or daughter have to do the same.

3) I can include my wife but the person that talked with me in IRS was not sure about my daughter and they will call me back (I hope so!) in two weeks. When I have the correct answer about it I will post here.

4) I can include the moving expenses (this is such a good think), as you can see in the
    Publication 521, to this I have to fill out the form 3903.

All publications and forms you can download from: Internal Revenue Service

I hope that this help you,
    Gustavo.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Well done, Gustavo!

In my opinion, the child has to be in the U.S. for at least six months out of the year to be claimed as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1b 1040 or 1040nr or 1040nrez [ 4 Answers ]

GTG: You should file another Form 1040NR-EZ. Filing as a resident alien really does you no good because, as an Indian citzien, you can already claim the standard deduction. However, if you paid any tuition or fees, then you might want to wait and file as a Resident Alien under the First Year...

Whetehr to file 1040 or 1040 NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I have a situation here. I entered in MID 2002 in USA. I am having H1B1 work visa. I supposed to be on job since my 1st day but my consultant as failed to provide me a job. So I was living by doing ODD jobs. Now back in sep 2005 I got proper job. Till to date. My...

H1B Should fill 1040 or 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Folks, I know many people have asked this question a number of times. I am on H1B for the whole of 2005 and have been working in the US. I wanted to fill in my tax papers myself online. But Turbotax etc don't have the 1040NR form. All they offer is 1040 or 1040EZ. Can I fill in the 1040NR even...

OPT to H1tatus (1040 or 1040 NR)? [ 3 Answers ]

My OPT period commenced on December 13, 2004 and was valid till December 12, 2005. However, I accepted a job offer and started working from February 1, 2005 (till present). My employer filed for my H1 visa in between, which became effective on November 16, 2005. Summarizing, for the year...

1040NR or 1040 if 1040 returns are more [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert you are AWESOME :) Thanks for all who help us. I am qualified for 1040NR and I filled out both forms 1040NR-EZ and 1040 to check. 1) Can I claim qualified education expenses? Because I pay the loan of 5400 and also paid around 250$ of interest. If I add 5400 as ...

View more questions Search