Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikecool Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
    To parents: what do you think about philosophy?
    What do u think about philosophy?
    Is it an important thing to learn?
    Do you think it's important for you and your children?
    (for children): Do u think philosophy is boring?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 26, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecool View Post
    what do u think about philosophy?
    is it an important thing to learn?
    do you think it's important for you and your children?
    (for children): Do u think philosophy is boring?
    Hi Mike,

I guess philosophy has the ability to make someone,"Jack of all trades, master of none". Is this a good thing? I have no idea.

Philosophy is never boring.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 08:56 PM

Is it important to learn? I think that depends on the person, what they want to do with their life.

I think it's a valuable study, and I don't find it boring. I do hope that my kids show an interest in it, but I won't force them.
    Alethia312 Posts: 45, Reputation: 5

Jun 27, 2011, 07:58 AM
    For me, Philosophy is like reading the classics and the masters. It gives an insight to the why and wherefores of today as explained by philosophers centuries ago - way ahead of their time. It is not an easy subject matter. It requires meticulous learning and intellectual depth to understand.
    When I was in college, it did not seem relevant to me. But now that I'm a little older, I wished I spent more time reading about the great works of philosophers. It somehow satiates a hunger that only the mind can comprehend. And yes, I hope my children can also appreciate Philosophy in their time.
    Sovereign227 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 06:13 PM
    I think philosophers are a bunch of schizophrenic, egotistical, old men with a lot on their mind. Philosophy is meant to provoke thought and unconventional ideas it is dead but it gives us life.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecool View Post
    WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PHILOSOPHY?
    Hello mike:

I like English better.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 09:31 AM
    Is it really something you "learn" ? Is it not more about looking at and possible discussion of things from other points of view ?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 26, 2011, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    is it really something you "learn" ? Is it not more about looking at and possible discussion of things from other points of view ?
    Hi Fr. Chuck.

Could be.

There is a lot of jargon used in philosophy. For example worlds, like facts, form, substance, essence have particular meanings which are not necessarily dictionary meanings. When someone outlines an argument and they intend to use particular words they usually let the reader know the interpretation they are going to emphasise. To put it another way, they let the reader know what is understood meaning of the word(s). It is then they go into a logical analysis.

The writer then pushes his/her arguments to their logical conclusion thus providing an opportunity for criticism by someone else. There have been a number of examples in history whereby the writer has realized the inconsistency of their argument and thus provided a criticism of their own works.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have this Philosophy, let me know what you think. [ 14 Answers ]

Think of existence, in the beginning as being one-lets call it the godhead. The godhead can't stand to be one so it splits into many (like cells) in one big explosion-lets call it the big bang. It finds in then, after billions of years it can't "remember" being one at and wonders why it exists at...

Philosophy Philosophy [ 2 Answers ]

When I declare that "I ought to do x" what in effect, do I mean according to Aristotle? Hume? Mill?

Philosophy [ 10 Answers ]

Is philosophy a concept or a study?

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

View more questions Search