Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
    I have a 1999 Honda Civic. It has 183k miles on it and I just recently got a full ch
    I have a 1999 Honda Civic. It has 183k miles on it and I just recently got a full checkup/service by the dealership as well as my timing belt changed. There are a few items I still need to have done, a valve adjustment and 2 of my motor mounts are cracked and one is broken. I am wondering which I should prioritize. In addition, I have a grade I drive up everyday and I'm wondering if it is bad for my car to go up it at 5k rpm vs 4k rpm. Redline is at 6.8k I believe or somewhere there abouts. Anyway any advice would be much appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2011, 03:02 PM

Replace the engine mounts, prior to worrying about the valve lash adjustment. When you have the valves adjusted, ensure the engine is "stone" cold. 5,000 rpm is, in my opinion, too high to rev the engine for this purpose.
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
    Thanks TxGreaseMonkey, I'll keep it in the 4k rpm range and I'll definitely do the motor mounts first. I'm going to have the dealership do the valve adjustment eventually so I hope they know to make sure the engine is cold before doing it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2011, 04:57 PM

It's fun to replace the timing belts on Hondas. I changed the timing belt, timing belt tensioner pulley, and A/C tensioner pulley bearing on my 1993 Civic about 3 months ago. The ideal time to adjust the valves is while the valve cover is off to change the timing belt. You might keep this in mind next time around. It's cheaper at this time, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 honda accord ex 4 cyl 210,00 miles engine stalls while running around 40 mph [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1999 honda accord ex 4 cyl with 210,00 miles on it. Engine model is F23A4. In the past one year, I have installed new distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs and recently timing belt and water pump. In the last 2 months, I noticed four times that my car engine stalled while...

1999 Honda Civic miles and gas? [ 2 Answers ]

How many miles can a 1999 honda civic drive with one tank of gas? How many gallons can a honda civic have?

1999 honda accord 218k miles keeps kutting off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda Accord Lx with 218,000 miles on it. Within the past year I have had a lot of parts replaced. While driving, the car will just shut of. Most of the time it will turn back on, sometimes it will hesitate a few times, other days it will drive fine. The last thing that was done was...

1999 Honda Accord: 84,000 miles; engine turns off [ 29 Answers ]

I have a 99 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. While I was driving on the causeway at 50mph, the engine just shut off. NO lights on the dash came on, the engine cranked back up while gliding. I drove for about 1 more mile and the engine shut off again the same. I was able to glide into the 4th cross...

Honda Civic '98 70K miles, no pep [ 1 Answers ]

Him, I have a Honda Civic 1998, and recently had the timing belt replaced, among other regular service things. 70,000 miles. Yesterday I noticed when I step on the gas there is no pep, like it chokes a bit or just doesn't want to speed up. Someone told me I need oil. I'm down a quart. Does this...

View more questions Search