Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaliyahcohen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Shoes off?
    I am going to a barbecue at a co-worker's home and she is requesting that guests remove their shoes in her home. I was planning on wearing sandals or Sperry boat shoes without socks, but now I'm not sure if I should bring a pair of socks to wear so I won't be barefoot when I have to take my shoes off. Would you say to go barefoot or wear socks when going to a "shoes off" party? Thanks so much! :)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2011, 07:31 PM

Do what makes you comfortable. I would bring socks or slippers in case the house isn't clean. And since it's a barbecue, you might be going in and out of the house, so make sure your shoes are easy to slip into.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 08:05 PM

You work with them, why not just ask them what they think would be proper.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 23, 2011, 08:23 PM

Okay, am I the only one that finds it odd that people have to request that guests remove their shoes before entering their home? I never leave my shoes on when I go into someone's home. I expect all people coming into my home to remove their outdoor footwear in the foyer.

Isn't it just polite to take your dirty outdoor shoes off in someone's home, or am I the weird one?

To the OP. Why not buy some cheap slip on slipper socks. They have grips on the bottom so they're better then socks (in case your host has hardwood or tile), and don't slip, and they're easy to get on and off. If you wear sandals, then you can leave the slipper socks on when you're going in and out of the house.
    obata69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Its little naïve of your host to expect guests at a barbecue to remove their shoes in the house and also enjoy the barbecue which I presume is the garden. It seems to like its going to a continual shoes on and shoes off evening. I expect me guests to take their shoes off,as we do, but I don't expect them to be continually moving in and out of the house. I have never been into the barbecue scene but if one does not allow shoes in the house then an outdoor barbecue is a potential logistical nightmare and a continual source of anxiety for all concerned.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 03:39 PM

I do agree that when you're going in and out, it is a bit of a pain to take your shoes off, but it's not that bad. If you wear flip flops it takes seconds to get your shoes on and off, so I don't see the problem.

It sounds to me like the party is indoors, after the bbq is done cooking, they'll be mainly indoors. Am I wrong? That's the way I read the post.

If that's the case then I don't see the issue. It's just good manner to remove your shoes in someone's home.
    Alethia312 Posts: 45, Reputation: 5

Jun 27, 2011, 07:18 AM
    I can understand a shoes-off-inside-the-house policy on normal days but with a party? That is a tad tedious for the guests! But since you said it's a barbecue, my guess is you're going to be outdoors most of the time. My best bet are flip-flops. But your sandals and boat shoes are still fine.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2011, 10:17 PM

I agree, Alethia - in our household, household members and frequent guests like my son's friends take their shoes off at the door. When we have a party though, we all wear shoes and our guests may do as they like.

My father has a very difficult time putting his shoes on and off, and must have sturdy, lace-up shoes with certain orthotics, so he does not take his shoes off when he goes places unless he is specifically asked, but he will take great care to make sure not to track dirt - he will wipe them on the rug and if necessary, will even take his handkerchief out to clean them up a bit more. There are places where I don't like to remove my shoes - for example, my best friend is a horrible housekeeper - her carpets are disgusting and so I wear shoes, always, in her home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoes in the house [ 33 Answers ]

Hi! I have been looking forever on the internet for an answer, but haven't been successful... maybe you can help. We are getting new carpet tomorrow and we do not wear our shoes in the house... but, when we have company, they will come in with the nastiest shoes you've ever seen! How can I let...

A day without shoes [ 3 Answers ]

Go Barefoot for TOMS Annual Day Without Shoes April 8 (Video) : TreeHugger

Shoes [ 10 Answers ]

Wow ! Great ! Thank you people for the warm welcome ! Here is my first question.. We do not wear shoes at home as it is considered unclean . SO a pair of my shoes are kept outside in front of my door as it is used often and it is

View more questions Search