Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kerryAR Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Abdominal pain, but nothing?
    I have been to the DR's today as I have had lower left abdominal pain, that shoots down my leg. My period is 3 days late and the doctor examined me and did a urine test for pregnancy (negative). He siad there's nothing wrong with me and its probably menstrual cramps. I have never had menstraul cramps before, Im still worried. I have been trying for baby, had miscarraige in sept. He said that would not cause this pain... should I stop stressing?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
    We have a wonderful health expert, J_9, who when she signs on will probably be able to give you more information or direction than I can.

But, one thing I would ask the doctor about is endometriosis. It is a condition that affects a lot more women than is realized and isn't a major catastrophy in our lives. Sometimes that causes cramping and affects the nerves in the legs. It also can impede your ability to become pregnant depending on how bad it is.

Here is a website that you might want to do a search on until J_9 is able to review your question and provide more insight:

Women's Health Information from the National Women's Health Resource Center
    kerryAR Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
    That's worrying. How come I have only had it the last two months? Do you think the miscarraige could have triggered it off?
    erinwalsh Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryAR
    I have been to the DR's today as i have had lower left abdominal pain, that shoots down my leg. My period is 3 days late and the doctor examined me and did a urine test for pregnancy (negative). He siad theres nothing wrong with me and its probably menstrual cramps. I have never had menstraul cramps before, Im still worried. I have been trying for baby, had miscarraige in sept. He said that would not cause this pain...should I stop stressing??
    I went to the hospitol last September for lower abdominal pains, the I had a TON on tests done. The doctors believe the pain from endometriosis, as I have cysts on my ovaries. The Dr. said the pain was most likely from the cyts bursting - I was also very blated as a result of this.

I would insist that your dr. do an ultrasound if he/she has not done so already.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Kerry, I am so sorry. I did not mean to leave you worrying. Endometriosis is not something that should make you worry. It is something I have lived with since I first started menstruating. For me, it does create some very painful cramping. I went to the doctor when it was becoming intolerable for me and he helped me (too lengthy to get into). Some women don't experience any pain at all.

No, your miscarriage did not cause endometriosis. It is usually the other way around. Endometriosis can keep you from getting pregnant, or miscarry. Please don't misunderstand me here, I am not suggesting that this is what you have. I just thought that you should do a little a research into it and see if it fit the symptoms you are having. I always like to know what possible medical problems I might have if there is something going on, so I can have an informed conversation with the doctor. That is just me.

I think Erin's advice is sound. Go back to your doctor and ask him/her to do an ultrasound. Ask him to rule out endometriosis, cysts or anything else that might cause the pain you are having because you have never had cramps before this and due to the miscarriage, you would like him to be as thorough as possible. I am assuming you want to get pregnant again. Tell him/her you want to avoid any complications so that you do not have to go through the possibility of miscarrying again. He/she should be sympathetic to that.

I wish K_9 were here so she could give you a bit more insight. She is very good. Please hang in there. I am sure she will sign on within the next day and find your question. In the meantime, please make another appointment with your doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Sorry Ruby, had to spread the love. K_9 LMAO!! That is what near and dear friends called me YEARS ago.

Anyway, I think you are on the right track here. It could very well be endometriosis or possibly an ovarian cyst that has ruptured. I think it would be wise to get a second opinion to see if you have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) or endometriosis.

Kerry, I believe your doctor did a terrible injustice to you by insinuating that your pain was basically PMS. You should by all means get an ultrasound to rule out any ovarian/uterine abnormalities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lower left abdominal aches [ 1 Answers ]

I had a miscarrage at 5 weeks almost 2 months ago. I did not have a dnc as DR said it was a natural miscarrage. Since then I have had on/off dull abdominal aching. It stopped aching completely during my period and now its come back again but more uncomfortable. I can't figure out where the pain is,...

Lower Abdominal Pain [ 1 Answers ]

I am 30 years old and have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months. Last month my husband and I had sex the day before and day of ovulation. The following few weeks I was feeling really nauseous and was sure that I was pregnant, however, I got my period exactly on day 29 as usual. I still did not...

Abdominal Pain! Help! [ 4 Answers ]

I know this may sound gross but please bare with me... I have pain in my abdominum when I have intercourse, when I have bowel movements, when I urinate, and when I have gas... it really hurts now and I don't think I can ignore it. I don't have insurance to go to the doctor that is why I came...

Abdominal hernia [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everybody. I'm a 14 year old guy and I'm pretty sure that I have abdominal hernia. Please guys, help me. I need to know how much it would cost to get rid of it at the min and at the max in $. See, I didn't even tell my parents yet because I'm kind of embarrassed but its not the main reason....

View more questions Search