Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tessag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 09:56 AM
    3520 Reporting - NRA gift
    If a person receives a cash gift from an NRA before he himself becomes a resident, does he have to report that gift on the 3520 if he becomes a resident later that calendar year? I would think that this is a reportable event but not taxable?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
    Form 3520 is used to report transfers of money from OUTSIDE of the United States. I believe the threshold for filing Form 3520 is $10,000, but it may be higher.

If you were a non-resident alien at the time you received the gift, it need NOT be reported to the IRS, even if you file as a duial-status alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do non-resident aliens have to file form 3520 [ 1 Answers ]

The facts: I am a non-resident alien (on a J visa) and want to receive a large funds transfer (>10k) from abroad into my US account. Q1. Given the fact that I'm filing my taxes just like any US residents/citizens, do I have to file form 3520 for this transfer as a gift? Q2. I noticed that there...

What documentation is required for IRS form 3520 for foreign inheritance? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tricky situation in which one relative is getting the full inheritance and then splitting it up amongst the other children. So the "court order" will be different than how the money will be dispersed. Would it be acceptable to show a paper trail to show that the money came from an...

Reporting tenants to Credit Reporting Agencies [ 4 Answers ]

If tenants do not pay the rent in the state of Georgia, can you report them to the credit reporting agencies?

View more questions Search