Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
    Sod VS Dog Urine. I recently laid some sod and I am aware that urine from particular
    Sod VS Dog Urine. I recently laid some sod and I am aware that urine from particularly female dogs has a negative effect on the grass. It seems to die where she urinates. I am wondering if there is anything that can be applied to the grass to reduce the effects of the urine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 02:05 PM

There are products on the market but I have had very limited success with them. Best to just water the area. Preventing Dog Urine Spots in Your Lawn and Turf | Life and Lawns or try http://www.megagro.com/dogonit.htm?g...FdLHKgodim4ZJg

Jun 21, 2011, 04:53 PM
    Thanks, have you personally used Dogonit Lawn Treatment?

Jun 21, 2011, 05:14 PM

Yes, I have used it and it was better than spot where I did not use it. My next dog will be male, I care less about brushes and evergreens than lawn

Jun 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
    But female dogs are so much cuter! :D thanks again for all your help I'm going to try Dogonit Lawn Treatment and I'll let you know how it went

Jun 21, 2011, 07:21 PM

Biggest issue is the quicker you spray it the better it works, now picture how you are going to achieve that. :)
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jun 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
    I made the mistake of not training my last dog, (Shep. Mix), to only go in a certain area.She went where she pleased.I could not keep up with the urine or my dead lawn. When she passed 3 yrs.ago we adopted another dog, (Belgian Shep). I would take her on a leash to one spot in the yard since she was 8 weeks. Never use a leash in the yard and she has NEVER gone anywhere else, but her spot.
    To this day if we go on walks, she will not go at all. Holds it till we get back home!!

TRAIN the Dog period. Oh yeah, my sod is 2 1/2 years old. Not one burnt spot anywhere.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yes, I have used it and it was better than spot where I did not use it. My next dog will be male, I care less about brushes and evergreens than lawn
    I hate to burst your bubble, but male dogs kill the grass too.

It has nothing to do with the sex of the dog, it's about the urine. Urine kills grass. If you peed on the grass, it would die. ;)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2011, 08:18 PM

My Male Pups used to pee on a tree and then the other would pee on his pee and it would go back and forth so much that the tree would die (poor tree)
    Bingo (girl) burns the grass, Kugel (boy) doesn't and they are never in the front yard for long... so I really don't care anymore. LOL
    Grass is so unimportant to me as far as the Pups are concerned. I have more problems with brown spots from lack of water than the Pups. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2011, 03:17 PM

Sadly my whole yard is dead because of my three males. The little tree I bought has also been killed.

I have heard that feeding the dog tomato juice works, but I've never tried it, and I can't guarantee that it will work, or that it's recommended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planting VS Sod in my yard [ 6 Answers ]

I would really like to get some grass planted or sod put down in my yard. I have a few concerns. Firstly it is in an area that doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. I recently moved to Southern California and noticed the grass here is somewhat different, possibly due to amount of water. I am...

Sod over ground out tree stump? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a very large white poplar cut down and the stump ground out. The stump was ground about 4 inches below level and some of the roots are almost to the surface. The backyard that this tree is in is almost all bare soil and weeds. I have been spraying weedkiller and plan on tilling and grading to...

Sod Replacement Quote [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience in quoting a job for sod replacements

New sod, tree dying [ 6 Answers ]

I planted new sod, now my tree is dying, can anyone help me:confused:

Sod addiction [ 12 Answers ]

OK so due to my acne I decided to give up soda!I am addicted to soda. I can easily drink 3 a day <diet> well I haven given it up for a wile. But I feel completely different w/o it!I feel lik ! I just feel so week !I don't want to ever drink soda again but I might have to because I never feel...

View more questions Search