Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawquestions01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
    I have a C-Corp closed before a small claims case started.
    Am I still liable if $2500.00 judgement is reached?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 09:08 AM

What do you mean by IF judgment is reached?

Don't wait. Simply show up to court and affirm (and prove) that the Corporation is defunct.

Jun 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
    The case has already happened, i did not know i should not have gone to the hearing.
    The "BOGUS" judgement has been filled can they come after me personally?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawquestions01 View Post
    THE CASE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED, I DID NOT KNOW I SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE TO THE HEARING.
    THE "BOGUS" JUDGEMENT HAS BEEN FILLED CAN THEY COME AFTER ME PERSONALLY?
    No need to "shout".

Your corporation was the defendant and a small claims judgment was awarded against it? No, they can't go after you personally unless the judgment is against you.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    ... affirm (and prove) that the Corporation is defunct.
    It actually doesn't matter whether the corporation is defunct or not. OP is not liable for the debts of the corporation unless (s)he was sued personally.

If, on the other hand, OP was sued individually, (s)he would have had to show that the debt was that of the corporation and not an obligation of the individual. If that wasn't done, it's probably too late.

Jun 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
    He case has already happened, i did not know i should not have gone to the hearing.
    The "BOGUS" judgement has been filled can they come after me personally?
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
    HE CASE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED, I DID NOT KNOW I SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE TO THE HEARING.
    THE "BOGUS" JUDGEMENT HAS BEEN FILLED CAN THEY COME AFTER ME PERSONALLY?
    What do you imagine repeating yourself is going to accomplish?

Jun 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
    These people are users, they have a want-a-b relative lawyer, and I believe they will try to collect at all cost. Am I 100% protected, or is there some loop hole they can use.

Jun 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Just making sure, I had others look at my hard documented information and I still lost. The courts are always for the "poor customer" and does not make them own up to there mistakes.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 10:00 AM
    ... Am I 100% protected, or is there some loop hole they can use.?
    I cannot tell if you are "100% protected" until you have first told me the details of your situation. To begin with, please answer the questions I asked earlier.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
    These people are users, they have a want-a-b relative lawyer, and I believe they will try to collect at all cost. Am I 100% protected, or is there some loop hole they can use.?

Well, their want-a-b relative lawyer seems to have accomplished the job for them.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Just making sure,
    Hello law:

The judgment will be against SOME CORPORATION. Not you. If the judgment isn't against YOU, it can't be collected against you. If the judgement reads some corporation AND YOU, then it CAN be collected against you.

This isn't mysterious stuff.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appealing a small claims case in ny [ 1 Answers ]

my daughter was given her insurance policy by my ex.. he signed and dated the document the Ins. co. uses.. however, she held off turning into her name alone. She contacted the Co. to have them use the policy to pay itself until she decided whether she would cash it in for the cash value, or...

Small claims tomorrow--How to state my case clearly. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am suing my landlord over medical bills for mold grow. I have pictures and my stained satin sheets from a leaky window they never fixed not to mention the elevators inspection date was out of date and was very scary to ride in. We moved out a month before our lease was up--We gave a proper...

What happens when a small claims case should really be more? [ 4 Answers ]

I have submitted all the paperwork for a small claims case and in the past couple of days I have been doing my homework and am finding now that I might have a case larger than what small claims handles. Is it possible to switch venues and get a lawyer? The statue of limitations runs out today...

I just lost a case through Small Claims [ 4 Answers ]

I owe a Medical charge (California)from 12 years ago, and wasn't informed of it. I now live in another State( North Carolina) and am being threatened by the Lender to pay in full or they will record a judgement aggainst me. I want to know if they can do this, and if so, would I get my wages...

View more questions Search