Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaybyrds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
    Router security
    Im trying to create a security passwird and user id to my internet through my dlink so anyone outside of my hosue does not have access to my 2 laptops. I was told to go to browser and type 192.168.0.0 and I'm getting everything but what I need. What is the steps for security to make a password and user id so no one can access my internet?
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2011, 01:05 PM

If you really want secure passwords, the best way I know of to get them is go here:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

But be warned, you will NOT be able to remember the passwords because they defy the brain's ability to store information!
    enenigma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 08:30 AM
    If you're not sure how to set it up, D-Link provides some simulators on the router itself.
    Here is an example of one: http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dir655/133NA/Device_Info.html

It lets you play around with settings before you actually implement them on your router

Once you log into your router,
    Go to "Setup" -> Wireless setup -> Manual wireless network setup
    Under Wireless network name, change it from Dlink to something more obscure

And under "Security mode" change it to WPA2-Personal/WPA-Personal, set yourself up a decent password (you can use infoguy's link or make your own up, the more complex, the better).

Hope that helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Security for wireless router [ 3 Answers ]

I am a novice with computers. I am getting a router because I am getting a new computer and keeping the old. Someone said I would need special security for the wireless router. What do I need to be safe?

D-Link Router DI-624 router settings log in issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having serious problems getting into the router settings of my D-Link router. Someone other than me messed with the Admin log in supposedly changing the password. I've attempted to "reset" the modem several times, and use what D-Link says is the admin log in of "Admin" and no password, but it...

Wireless Router Security [ 7 Answers ]

I have an unprotected dlink wireless router. Is there an easy way to set up a password that would block access by my neighbors?

Router security [ 3 Answers ]

My instructions for my D-Link router tell me to log on to 192.168.0.l to set up a password for security. I can't open the page. How can I log on to the router?

View more questions Search