Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaybass Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
    11 year old house is now having a nail popping issue?
    Why would an 11 year old house all of asudden start having a major mail poppong issue?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 08:05 PM

Because it's settling and/or shifting.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 08:44 PM

" mail poppong " OK , I think I know what you mean. This is not the normal nail pop you get when the home is first built. That happens when damp studs twist and/or shrink. Your issue is out of the ordinary and needs to be looked at by an engineer, this is not good. Either your foundation is failing or a main beam failed. Without on site inspection we can't tell be a structural engineer will be perefct, if not pricey.

Jun 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
    Thanks for your answer... Have one concern.. (well, actually now many concerns!).. Could it have anything to do with interior pipes leaking... we had a pipe burst in an interior wall at the end of Sept of last year... though, that doesn't make much sense since all of the pops are down the corners of each exterior wall.. but could it be moisture build up in general throughout the house... any thoughts on this...

Jun 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
    Didn't see the typo even after you pointed it out!. you figured it right.. it's not mail popping! Lol! Hope I can keep finding humor in this!

Jun 20, 2011, 09:16 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks for your answer... Have one concern.. (well, actually now many concerns!).. Could it have anything to do with interior pipes leaking... we had a pipe burst in an interior wall at the end of Sept of last year... though, that doesn't make much sense since all of the pops are down the corners of each exterior wall.. but could it be moisture build up in general throughout the house... any thoughts on this... didn't see the typo even after you pointed it out!. you figured it right.. it's not mail popping! Lol! Hope I can keep finding humor in this! Can you explain last comments you made... not sure what you mean

Jun 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I got the pricey part... are you recommending a structural engineer? Is that what you mean?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 07:18 AM

A structural engineer is trained to understand stresses and strengths in a structure. Your home has movement and an engineer could best determine where the stress comes from and how to fix it. How bad was the pipe burst?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 3 year old has bad nail biting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi,my daughter is 3 years and 4 mnths old.I have a few concerns with her that I posted one about how my daughter won't talk or play at daycare and has been like that for the past 8mnths,but at home she is a chatter box,also my daughter bites her nails really bad,when I got to sticky beek at her day...

I broke my fake nail and riped my real nail of and now its infected what do I do now [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my older brother were play fighting and he ripped my fake nail of , its now bleeding but the nail is still attached... now it is infected what do I do ? Help me it really hurts by the way I'm 13 :(

Nail popping on my walls [ 0 Answers ]

Our house was built 1988. We had a new roof installed about 3 years ago. I've noticed a few months after that, lots of nail popping on my walls all over the house. Is this normal? Is my house going to cave in? Why do I see this all over my house?

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house?

View more questions Search