Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawnmower Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 07:57 AM
    1099 tax form
    Hey I have my 1099 tax form with the nonemployee compensation at $1,821 I'm new at this whole tax thing. Does anyone know what I do from here?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Hello lawn:

Yeah. There's a place on your 1040 where you can put the income down. It really isn't difficult, but you may want to hire a professional to prepare your return.

I would hire a CPA. You're really not paying him to add numbers - you can do that. You're paying him to STAND BEHIND the return IF the IRS has any questions. Personally, I like layers and layers of people in between me and the IRS.

excon
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Any competent tax preparer can deal with your Form 1099. A CPA may be a bit of overkill in my opinion.

If you want professional help on these issues, contact me at [email protected].
    renelmiller0120 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
    You need to file a tax return with the compensation amount listed as income; form 1040.

Personally I agree with having many layers between the IRS and myself. I did accounting for 35 years though so I feel comfortable filing my own returns.

There are a huge number of people who do tax preparation as well; if you only have that one 1099 and no other income or deductions your tax return should be very easy. The IRS has a site too that you can go to and fill out your own tax return; it figures your taxes for you and you can download it for free to IRS.

Some States also have a site where you can file your return for free; it's always fun to go and do it yourself.

If all else fails though, get someone to fill it out for you and pay them the money. Tis better to be certain than to be wrong and have the IRS come back at you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

1099-G Form [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a 1099-G form in the mail and in box 2 shows a dollar amount and box 3 from year 2005. What is this for? I have my taxes done by an accountant every year. Would this be his mistake if I have to pay?

1099-C form [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a fixed income and I had a credit card amount of about $6000.00 written off by them because of my recent disability and lack of funds. I did pay them half . So now we are even, but they sent me a letter stating they are required by Internal Revenue code, section 6050P to report this...

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search