Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Copperhead6 Posts: 132, Reputation: 51

Jan 29, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Horses freezing
    Can horses freeze to death? My parents have horses and they live pretty much out in the open and it has been getting down to like 20 degrees outside and I just don't see how they survive without freezing, they have been living that way for over 25 years but it just seems odd to me?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Horses that are not clipped and allowed to grow their winter coat will not freeze to death. However, horses should be able to get into a place where they are sheltered from the weather. They do not need individual stalls, but a "run in" where they can be protected is important.

Jan 29, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Okay thanks, I suppose they are fine, it just seems crazy to me that they can chill out there in cold weather and it doesn't phase them. Pretty awesome
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:08 AM
    Oh it will phase them eventually. Please make sure that the temp does not fall below 25 degree farinheit. And that the wind chill is not to bad. Especially if there is no way for them to get protection. Horses, should have a place to get out of the elements, or they are more prone to impaction colic (cold horses do not drink enough water) which can result in death if not caught quickly enough.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 12:21 PM
    It not only depends on if they are clipped or not it also depends on your climate, and what breed they are. The desert breeds have much thinner skin and Hair. If you are still very worried about them See if you guys could invest in some horse blankets or make some of your own. rec.equestrian | Google Groups is two posts of a person talking about their homemade blankets to give you an idea of materials you can use
    Notalone Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Horses need more then shelter they need hay/good pasture to stay warm in the winter... there digestive system is what keeps them warm... cold winter nights feed more hay!

Feb 4, 2007, 12:49 PM
    My horses have never really had any shelter and it gets cold, it even dropped down to like 19 degrees one night. They have a pasture and just roam free, There in there mid twenties and have never missed a step so I guess there doing fine.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Hummmm... Well, Some horses are left to the elements of winter and have survived for centeries...
    Last year I received a rescued PMU farm (Pregnant Mare Urine/Premarin)mare. She survived being pregnant, dehydrated, and exposed to the elements of winter in Canada before reaching my home in the states. She was in extremely poor health from the lack of care and simply put... she surrived...
    You are receiving answers here from people who take extra steps in caring for their horses. I personally don't understand the point of having horses if they are simply left to roam with zero amount of care.. . But I'd have to agree with the answer you gave to your own question
    My horses have never really had any shelter and it gets cold, it even dropped down to like 19 degrees one night. They have a pasture and just roam free, There in there mid twenties and have never missed a step so I guess there doing fine.
    Your horses or your parents horses have probably become accustom to their environment and may have some really good grazing land that keep weight on them.
    Much the opposite to my horses... They wear blankets when the weather is 35 degrees F or below, they sleep inside a barn at night, and get fed sweet feed, crimped oats and fescue hay each evening, but this is what they have become accustom to so this is what they need and what I must do for them in order for them to stay healthy.
    As long as your parents horses not bony and sickly looking, I'm sure their OK and have adapted to their environment being that they have lived this way for 20 something years.
    Kae

Feb 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Yea its my parents horses, I'm just making sure to feed them since my parents moved away. I think that's what got me first concerned about them. I've started fatting them up! Lol
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Well good for you! And good for them (the horses)! It's really kind of you to take over the responsibility... I'm sure the horses appreciate it...
    -Kae
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Mar 1, 2007, 03:38 PM
    I've had horses for years. The most shelter they've had is a 3 sided shelter. They usually prefer to stay outside of it though! In fact, when it gets colder out, that's when my horses are the most lively. They run around the pasture and play together kicking their feet up in the air.

They have about 20 acres to run around in and we keep hay out for them every day, all day in the winter. We haven't ever had any problems! Just keep their water thawed and give them hay!
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead6
    Can horses freeze to death?
    They're a lot more likely to starve to death than freeze to death. If they have adequate feed and water, they'll be fine.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Keeping their water thawed is so very important. Most horses colic (impaction colic) in the winter due to a lack of water (because often times their buckets are frozen). I would give my Belgians a hot bran mash once a week when it was extremely cold. This would help move things along. And they loved their special treat.

I love it when the horses have their winter coats... they look like big teddy bears.
    Panamaa Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Mar 2, 2007, 08:27 AM
    If they aren't shivering they aren't cold and stressing. But they do need at least a block from the wind/rain... whether they choose to get in it or not.
    They at least need the option of it. I wouldn't blanket them if they are outside unless you are checking on them and removing them daily.As long as they have hay to eat.( I use round bales outside so they can free choice that all the time) And good water that is not frozen.
    zuniga3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Try staying out with the horses... EXACTLY,I rest my case.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 01:26 PM

Four year old thread.

Please check thread dates before posting.

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Horses... [ 10 Answers ]

Hey people I know nobody is going to read this, but I love horses soooooooo much. They are so beautiful when they walk. I want to buy a horse but can't find any I should buy. Any suggestions? :confused:

Horses [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about horses. Our eighteen yr. old horse seems to be going blind and I was wondering if anyone ever ran into the same problem and what did they do.

Horses [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering whether people knew anything about whether horses laid down on the ground much. I saw one of my horses down on the ground twice today and I have never seen them really do that before in my whole life. Granted I don't watch them all the time but it is freezing outside and I hope it...

Disgruntled Horses? [ 8 Answers ]

How often does it happen that a horse doesn't really want to be mounted on a certain day and he decides to unhorse his rider by a sudden stop, or running under low branches, or injuring his rider by accidentally on purpose slamming him against a wall?

View more questions Search