Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamalcourse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 03:05 AM
    Unable to attend new court hearind date.
    Lost my case by default as I was not in the country to attend, however I vacated and got a new hearing date. My wife is due to give birth at the new date of court and we live over 3,355.00 miles away from the court. What do I do. Help!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kamalcourse View Post
    What do i do. Help!
    Hello k:

File a motion for a postponement. If you don't get it, you'll have to make a decision.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 05:46 AM

Your choice, if you can not get it posponed, you either show up, or just lose by default again.

Jun 20, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Hi E, thanks for this. I am in Ireland and the case is in the USA. I will maybe write a letter to ask for a postponment. What a nightmare.

Jun 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Hmmm thanks Fr Chuck, I wish it was that easy. I am many thousands of miles away so showing up is a defo no can do. Don't want to loose by default again as this would mean the other party would come after me or my wife for 7,000$ which we do not have. Ugh!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 07:37 PM

Not sure, but it sounds like a settlement may be called for, remember they can play games with you, if you show up, they can start and ask it to be continued, making you have to come back.

With the cost of air fair, rental cars, motels, and more, have you tried to settle for 3000 to 4000 yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

If I don't attend court [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen if I don't attend court as a witness when I've been told to?

Call I have my court date canceled and do it on a later date [ 1 Answers ]

I have a court date for Oct 20 for a scheduling conference for a credit card debt. I was served a summons to file an answer and I did in a timely manner then I received a Notice of Hearing that says the case is scheduled for Scheduling Conference. Can I do anything at this point. I had previously...

Court date [ 1 Answers ]

Nm

View more questions Search