Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PerkinsL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
    9.0L of water from 0 to 99 degrees celius to Joules?
    How much heat in Joules is needed to raise the temperature of 9.0L of water from 0 to 99 degrees celius
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
    PerkinsL, at 0 degrees C, the water could in theory be either solid or liquid. The answer is quite different depending which it is. In whatever class this is for, have you recently studied "heat of fusion" and other energies related to phase changes? Or have you only been taught about heat capacity, specific heat, etc. If you've been taught about heat of fusion, then I think it's a safe bet that the question wants you to assume that the water begins out as ice. Otherwise, this is a simple heat capacity problem.

If you haven't studied heat of fusion, I don't want to confuse you by including that in the answer. I'll wait until you post back before proceeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculate: Heating 235 g of water from 22.6 degrees C to 94.4 degrees C in a microwav [ 1 Answers ]

I guess we must use c=lambda*frequency...

Will water pipes freeze if weather is 30 degrees outside [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is not working today, inside temp 60 degrees but outside to get down to 20 or 30 tonight. Will I have to worry about pipes freezing?? Can't fix furnace until tomorrow

Joules and calories [ 2 Answers ]

Calculate the energy, in both joules AND calories, that is required to heat 75 g of water from 2.1 degree C to 86.4 degree C

Where does water boil at exactly 100 degrees [ 3 Answers ]

Where does water boil at exactly 100 degrees

Is it possible to have liquid water at temps above 100 degrees Celsius [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering is it possible and if so how to have liquid water at temperatures above 100 degrees Celsius??

View more questions Search