Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdeveloper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Chicago Graystone building
    The basement in the home I am interested in buying has a concrete ceiling through out. Is that common and structurally sound. Moreover, can I cut a hole in the ceiling to provide access to main floor of the house? Any comments are greatly appreciated!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 05:30 AM

Hi Mdeveloper...

If the concrete floor has seams every 6-8 feet or so then I'm quite sure this is very structurally sound and can be drilled in specific locations... but can't just be drilled anywhere... could cut a tension wire... ;)

To be sure only takes a simple call over to your local building inspector... they should know the answer straight off!

Good luck!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Was this a commercial building to start? Flat or "T" constructio? As Mark said, can't just core cut anywhere is it was post tensioned.
    mdeveloper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 01:31 PM
    MA0641,
    No, the building has always been a single family limestone rowhouse. Its just have never seen a concrete floor/ceiling.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 01:33 PM

If concrete ceiling... must be concrete floor upstairs then, right? Any idea how thick?

How about the seams?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 03:07 PM

Chicago building codes can be dicey so also ask the City Building department to see what they will allow. Most Chicago greystones were built prior to tension cables but not all, how old is the building?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
    It is probably reinforced with rebar, not post tensioned. How big a hole are we talking about? Plumbing or stairwell?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New owner of building in Chicago - need procedure for lease/ rent the new tenant [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just brought 2 flat and a basement for rent. I need to know the policy and procedure how to lease the new tenant and keep the current tenant. Look like the basement is not legally for rent because it does not have electric meter. Can I still have someone lease or rent the space? Also,...

What does a building manager charge for a condo building per issue? [ 0 Answers ]

We would like to hire a building manager for our condo complex. We already have a property management company, but they only look after the financial budgeting. We need someone to attend to any problems with the building like noise complaints, landscaping on a per call basis or a regular fixed...

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Why is the University of Chicago blocking access to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge? [ 33 Answers ]

See this interesting article by Stanley Kurtz in National Review Online: Stanley Kurtz on Barack Obama, Bill Ayers & Chicago Annenberg Challenge on National Review Online "When Obama made his first run for political office, articles in both the Chicago Defender and the Hyde Park Herald featured...

View more questions Search