Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lennej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Ask an ob gyn online free?
    I am 33 years old. I have undergone appendectomy. I was diagnosed of acute supporative appendicitis with endemetriosis. Could this mean that I have infertility concern? Does this mean that I have no chance of having a baby?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
    I'm sorry no one answered you previously. Its important to use a title that briefly describes your question instead of the generic Ask an ob gyn online free? You used (I changed it for you).

You need to discuss this with a physician, appendicitis should not affect fertility, but there may be other issues involved.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Hi Iennei,

Are you currently trying to become pregnant? If so, how long have you been trying? How long ago was your surgery and have you had any treatment for the endometriosis?

There can sometimes be scarring after the surgery that may damage a fallopian tube. If endometriosis is present, that as well can effect fertility.

However, many women who have appendectomies go onto have children without any problems. The only way to know would be to try for a time and then speak to your gyn about possible testing. One test for fertility that may be in order for your situation would be to run dye through the fallopian tubes to determine if there is any blockage. Simple ultrasound can sometimes pick up any concerns as well.

These types of tests, however, are usually not performed until a couple has been trying to conceive for at least a year. This is because it can naturally take that long, or longer, for pregnancy to occur.
    lennej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Hi.
    Yes, I have been trying since jan 2011 after I stopped because pills for 7 years. That makes it a year and 2 months now trying.
    I had trans vaginal ultrasound to check if my uterus and ovaries were affected with that endemetriosis finding. Result showed that I do not have endemetriosis, thank goodness. But another concern surfaced, I had pcos, bilaeral polycystic ovaries is the actual findings. My ob advised me to have another tvs on oct but I was not able to. I just had it this march. And she said that there's still pcos in both my ovaries and she will be giving me medications when I come back next week. But big eggs were seen during ultrasound. By the way, its my 10th day from my 1st day of period when I had my tvs this march. Could that mean that I am ovulating after all? Could it mean that I have chances of getting pregnant? My worry was maybe I'm having my period but not really ovulating as I've read that it is possible for women with pcos.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2012, 04:23 AM
    You may be ovulating, but perhaps not consistently. Sometimes the body prepares for ovulation, such as would be seen with the follicles, but does not release them. This is also why some women will have periods, but still not be ovulating.

The medication your doctor prescribes might be one to help balance hormone levels which can increase the likelihood of ovulation occurring. She would also check at some point whether you are ovulating.
    Women with PCOS do often get pregnant, but it can sometimes take a bit longer as sorting out ovulation may need to be tried a few different ways depending on the individual.
    If by chance your weight is a concern, which is common for women with PCOS, doing what you can in that regard can also help with regulating hormone levels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy post appendectomy [ 0 Answers ]

Recently pregnant... 6 weeks. Haven't been to on yet. I had my appendix removed (laproscopic) in September, should I have any issues during my pregnancy due to this?

Fertility [ 39 Answers ]

I had a pelvic exam and my doctor requested for a pelvic ultra sound because I have been known to have ovarian cysts. :eek: I have to wait for the hospital to call me in order to let me know when they have an opening to do my ultra sound. Does anybody know what the first steps they take with...

Fertility [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on high blood pressure medication for the past month or so and I have noticed that I have a white milky discharge coming from both nipples if I squeeze them I read that high blood pressure medication can cause this. Is that true and does it affect fertilty?

Laprascopic Appendectomy 1-28-08 can I be pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Had a laprascopic appendectomy on 1/28/2008 can or could I have been pregnant? My lmp was on December 31,2007. Need help?:confused: :(

Fertility [ 5 Answers ]

Can you get pregnant anytime you have sex? Or just during those days that you ovulate? My friend needs answers. And I'm just as confused.

View more questions Search