Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlwright Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
    30 year old student loan still chasing me
    IN 1979 I took out a "Direct Loan" for truck driving school. The school closed without giving notice and I was left with a $5,000 loan. I was neglectful in paying it, and many times could not because of lack of work. Now 30 years later, after I have declared bankruptcy, this loan is still active and chasing me to the tune of $23,000. How can I make a deal with the "Direct loans" to waive the interest (and perhaps penalties) and just pay off the initial principle?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 05:09 PM

First if this was not a government school loan, but a private loan, it was dismissed in the bankruptcy and they are breaking the law in chasing after you, Did you include the loan in your bankruptcy ?

If the loan was in the bankruptcy, you send them a letter with the case number and demand they no longer contact you and that they can not report any info on this loan to the credit agencies at this point.

If this was a government student loan, then you pay it, and many are allowed to garnish your wages without any further court action
    MarineCorpsVet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 07:40 PM
    If this was a Direct Loan then it is a Government Student Loan. All you have to do is contact the Dept of Education and ask for a forgiveness based on the School closing before you could finish your degree or certificate. You will have to get the information about when the school closed and if you were able to finish and if you weren't then you can have the loan forgiven and any payments you have made will be returned to you. Contact the Department of Education.
    Father_Chuck you really need to research before answering. This is the second question I have had to correct for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.. I am so confused what...

Do I have any legal rights in chasing up a loan from an ex who lives abroad? [ 1 Answers ]

I Stupidly lent my ex £1000.00. I have proof of the transaction via my bank statement and an email clearly stating that it was a loan (not a gift) The amount was agreed to be paid back within 6 months (which I don't have on record) but now it's coming up to 4 years! The biggest problem is that he...

Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where...

17 year old private student loan [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a STUDENT LOAN NOTE in 1991 when I was 17 with the AMERICAN LEGION SCHOLARSHIP FUND which my parents co-signed. It was to be interest free until graduation, anticipated 1994, then interest will be charged with late payments each month no payment is made. In the note it states that it is...

22 year old student loan [ 8 Answers ]

that i didn't even remember taking out (apparently it was for $400) Got a call a few months ago about a loan (which i paid off in 2004 and assumed this was the one they were speaking of) and was told if i paid it off to disregard the phone call...which i did...I receive ssd because i have lupus. ...

View more questions Search