Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 12:05 AM
    Strange but vaguely familiar problem with IE and Windows XP computer
    Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong category, but I'm having a problem that is both very strange and vaguely familiar at the same time.

Last year, I thought the hard drive on my desktop computer crashed; but thankfully it did not. So, I pulled it out to work on it. Anyway, it is up and running Windows XP, as it always had, but this is my problem:

I can connect to the Internet, and I stay connected for about five minutes, before the Internet freezes. I do not have IE on my computer, though it says that it does. Now, I can only go to Google or Yahoo, and I can type in the search bar. However, it keeps coming up with "Internet Explorer cannot open the search engine", no matter what I do or where I go.

I am also unable to open Command Prompt and Task Manager. Nor can I download a browser, spyware scanner, or virus scanner because of this.

The computer has only been online for two days. As soon as I got it online, it downloaded... something. The file name did not show up, and I cannot find anything, as I have no tools by which to search for problems.

Is it a virus?
    Hardware failure?
    IE problem?
    What is it?
    How can I fix it?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 05:12 AM
    It is p[ossible you have a deep-rooted CoolWebSearch spyware infection. You can try this solution but format and reinstall may be your true final solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange GFCI problem... HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help us on our GFCI problem. I have two GFCI with separate circuit breaker. On the 1st GFCI I have 2 pond pumps connected to it. The pumps have been working fine without tripping the GFCI for 2 years. About a month ago the 1st GFCI tripped and after some testing I found out...

Strange starting/running problem 91 civic [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently bought a 91 civic hatchback and have been driving it for around 3 weeks now with no problems. I recently had a snow storm here and it got pretty cold for about a week, the day it finally warmed up I went out to start the car and it would turn over, but would never start. I...

Strange problem effecting walls in one room in house [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: My daughter has a purple room. Ever since I painted it I noticed that if you hang a picture on the wall for any length of time and remove the picture, it looks as though something brown, like a soda ran down the wall right behind the picture. At first I thought it actually was a...

Water Heater and Furnace strange problem [ 32 Answers ]

Hello, I've had a perfectly operating Gas Water Heater and Gas Furnace system until about 4 weeks ago. For whatever reason, my Gas Furnace stopped and it sort of starts up on its own. It stops whenever we're not in the house and overnight so we wake up freezing with house temperatures around...

View more questions Search