Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
    My sink is clogged and will not drain. I have tried plunging it and I've actually de
    My sink is clogged and will not drain. I have tried plunging it and I've actually detached the pipes up to the U shaped piece and there is nothing clogged in there. So I'm thinking that there is a clog further back, is the next step to call a plumber and have them snake it?
    skay23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Oddly enough, try pouring a full bottle of hydrogen peroxide and bleach in at the same time, don't mix then pour, keep them separated. Hope this helps! I have don't this in my house and have recommended it to many people... Cheaper than a plumber!
    skay23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
    Done not dont* sorry :)

Jun 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Thanks a lot I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 12:50 PM

Kitchen or bathroom sink? If bathroom sink did you block the overflow while plunging? If kitchen double sink did you block one side while plunging the other?

Jun 17, 2011, 02:13 PM
    Kitchen, the overflow if fine and yes I blocked one side while plunging the other. One side is a disposal so I don't know if that makes any difference.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 02:40 PM

You have a blockage in the horizontal drain line in the wall.
    The solution would be to remove the "J bend" from the trap and send a snake up into the wall. See the images below, Thanks.
    Attached Images

Jun 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
    Thanks for all the help! Looks like there are more serious issues with the pipe so a large section of the pipe may need to be replaced. I really appreciate all of your help and advice!

Jun 17, 2011, 03:18 PM

Looks like there are more serious issues with the pipe so a large section of the pipe may need to be replaced
    Why do you say that? Just sounds like you need to snake the drain. You can call plumber or you can purchase a drain snake (manual of electric) and snake line yourself.

Jun 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
    I guess the pipe actually broke when I had our maintenance guy looking at it.

Jun 17, 2011, 04:03 PM

Strange. Broke where? Want to tell us about it?

Jun 17, 2011, 05:51 PM
    Yeah I'll update you later after I speak to the wife. She was at home today when the maintenance guy came by.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 07:30 PM

Can you take a picture of it and post it we may be able to tell you how to fix it.

John

Jun 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Turns out the abs pipe broke back in the wall. They had to open a hole outside my house to get to it to replace the pipe. Good thing its covered and I don't have to pay anything. I wasn't there and they already fixed it so I couldn't get pictures sorry :(

Jun 21, 2011, 03:03 PM

Good hear, glad it wasn't on your dime.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2011, 03:15 PM

You may want to read this completely before mixing bleach and peroxide. http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/cehsweb/bleach_fs.pdf You can mix vinegar and baking soda with salt but watch out for anything mixed with bleach.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper sink drain too slow, not clogged which type drain is best [ 2 Answers ]

We just refinished bathroom with double vanity copper sinks. They have a flat grid drain in the bottom, not vented. Is there a different drain that would allow the water to drain easier? We have to swirl water or stir water to get it to begin draining, like there is a suction...

Bathroom Sink - Clogged Drain/AC Drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom on the second floor that we never use. Two days ago we noticed that water was leaking out from under the carpet and the bathroom sink was filled with water and not draining. The AC condensation drain runs down this drain right above the trap. We took the trap off and snaked the...

Clogged kitchen sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink in my mobile home is backed up. I've tried chemicals, snakes, and plundgers but nothing works. Please help me.

Clogged bathroom Sink Drain [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. ...

View more questions Search