Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Are dogs completely immune to human colds and viruses?
    Are dogs completely immune to human colds and viruses?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 17, 2011, 02:14 PM

Immune may not be the correct word, as it infers some association with the immunity system. Maybe resistant would be a more accurate word. Immunity comes about by being exposed to something that causes a response in a body, which not all things do. There are a number of diseases that can be passed from animals to humans, and back. Most are quite innocuous, some are serious, and most fall in between.

Human colds have no effect on dogs, but there is some suggestion that human influenza, in some form, sparks a condition in dogs somewhat like it.

Figure this out. Human measles virus will not be transmitted to dogs, BUT a vaccine made from human measles virus was shown to give protection from canine distemper in puppies, and has been the basis for a dog vaccine used for years to vaccinate puppies as early as 6 weeks of age. But, only if the mother didn't receive it when she was a pup.

Another, feline distemper (or panleucopenia), is a very serious disease in cats and kittens, as distemper is for dogs. The vaccination for it also gives early protection against parvo virus in dogs, and was the basis for some of the earliest vaccines against CPV, or canine parvovirus.

Diseases of significance that can be transmitted from animals to people are called Zoonotic disease, and are too numerous to be discussed here. Google 'zoonotic' and see the list of choices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I mix human glucosamine chondroitin in dogs water for sore hips [ 10 Answers ]

2 dogs 20#and 8# 8 YR OLD I want to know if I mix glucosamine chondroiyin(human type) will it help or harm them

Human medications for dogs [ 6 Answers ]

Can the medication ciprofloxacin be given to dogs

Can a fungus infection be transmitted from a dogs saliva to a human via licking? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a fungus infection be transmitted to a human via a dogs saliva?

What human foods are OK to give dogs? [ 5 Answers ]

My dachshund, is having back pains and the vet said she might have slightly slipped a disc or something? I was wondering what vitamins I can give her and how much to give her (like vitamin C). Do I give her the same Vitamin C tablets that I take or is there a special Vitamin C just for dogs? Also,...

Human medicines safe and unsafe for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I've read where people have given asprins to their pets and other meds, I thought I'd post this site, thought it may be helpful to some. http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

View more questions Search