Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    issaim Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
    How can I handtame my canary?
    Today it stand on my hand for 1 sec because I traped here she had too . And now she's biting me and she's super mad . So I put here a lettuce and wer back friends :D . But I need to tame here help me :(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2011, 12:37 PM

You mistreated your bird so she doesn't trust you.

Now you have to start all over again, more slowly.

Put your hand in the cage, withdraw it. Eventually she will lose her fear.

You are a bully and proud of it, and I am concerned about how you treat (or intend to treat) this bird - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/child-...gf-581334.html
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 01:27 PM

Oh god Judy what can we do. I only hope he doesn't get his hands on a pit bull; the dog will eat him up eventually.

This is so sad. Can we end this thread, get rid of him.

Tick

Jun 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
    tickle why did you talk this words I changed believe me and if you want to see the pic of my 2 canaries how thye live happy tell me I'm a new man now . I stopped fighting and I'm being better in school . :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by issaim View Post
    tickle why did u talk this words i changed believe me and if u wanna see the pic of my 2 canaries how thye live happy tell me im a new man now . i stopped fighting and im being better in school . :)

Sorry, but I am not amused. Don't know you. You sound dysfunctional and I don't care for how you treat animals.

Jun 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Well tickle everyone has there thoughts of people and I thing you think I'm a bully :/ and I'm really not anymore and I really apoligized for that guy and for his girlfriend . And everything is OK and what ever you think of me I respect it :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
    tickle why did u talk this words i changed believe me and if u wanna see the pic of my 2 canaries how thye live happy tell me im a new man now . i stopped fighting and im being better in school . :)
    I'm going to warn you. The rules of this site state that chat speak/text talk isn't allowed. One more post with text talk and I'll Report it, or in this thread, I'll close it.

u = you
    want to = want to
    pic = picture
    I'm = I'm

Do you get it?

Now for your canary. Canaries aren't very tame birds. Budgies, parrots, cockatiels are more tame. Canaries don't really enjoy being handled very much.

Try feeding her by hand. Let her get used to you. Don't grab her, and don't force her to do anything. Let her come to you. Gain her trust. This can take months.

Jun 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
    Aff it took me 3 month it may take more!
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
    aff it took me 3 month it may take more !!! ?
    Worse, it may never happen at all.

As I said, canaries aren't birds that are normally tamed. Finches are the same way. They birds that you look at, listen to, but they don't do well with being handled, and you may never be able to handle yours.

The only finch I ever had that was tame was one that I was forced to hand raise from the time she was 2 days old. Her mother kept knocking her out of the nest. After the third time I decided to attempt to hand raise her, and I got lucky, it worked, and she was very tame. A bird expert I know was shocked. He's hand raised 100's of finches, and not one of them were tame.

It's the same with canaries. You can try, but you likely won't succeed. If you want to succeed it's going to take a lot of patience, a lot of time spent with the bird, and a lot of hope.

Jun 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Well I think I owe here an apology and I need to start from beginning :/ because she is really mad from me :s I need to fix thing up you know any treat what canary like

HEY by the way does lettuce kill canary because mine LOVES it like crazy
    I really love this canary you can't imagine its like my daughter :) I cover here at night and everything give me tips about them ***
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 04:09 PM

Lettuce is fine, just make sure she's also getting plenty of canary feed. You can also buy treats at the pet store especially for canaries. Those are okay, but not too many. A treat is just that, a treat. Her main diet should be canary pellets. Get the best quality you can.

Like I said, you'll have to be patient. If she loves lettuce, try getting her to eat it out of your hand. It can take a long time, but if you have a treat she really loves, sooner or later she'll give in and climb on your hand to get her favorite treat.

Spend as much time as you can with her. Put your hand in the cage often, but don't scare her. Soothing words, calm easy manner. Let her learn to trust you. Grabbing her is not a good idea.

Slow and steady, let her come to you. You know her, so you know what she likes. Use the things she likes to get her to approach you. Never make fast movements (even when she is tamed) and always be calm and quiet around her.

Whistle. Canaries are wonderful song birds (well, most are, not all), so teaching her songs is a great start. You'll be amazed how quickly they learn, just repeat over and over.

Patience is the number one quality you need to have. To her you're a giant. She doesn't know your intentions, and all birds have a natural fear of anything bigger then them. You have to make her realize that you won't hurt her.

Jun 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Every dayi put tape of canary sining and I sit near them about 1 hour is this good ? Or canary tape don't work ?

I bought the best food quality I could buy and it cost me a lot :S about 10$ really good quality .

Do they eat bannanas?

I got here a canary treat its hangable and they love it they stay 24/24 on it and its Egg flavor is it good?

I know how to sex it and that's good

Well this is really sad for me :( I want here to love my small 3-4 month old male canary but she attacks him a lot and injurs him so I put him in simple cage :( :'(

If they saw a dove will they die ? Because the balcony is oppen so they see the beuty And feel likehome but doves is near my house a lot soi have to stay about 3- 4 hours near them but if they saw dove they die?

I put lettuce in my hand she tryes here best to get it from my hand and eat it without touchmy hand :P I love here . Here name is juicy :)

Hope you help me :( :)
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 04:29 PM

every dayi put tape of canary sining and I sit near them about 1 hour is this good ? Or canary tape don't work ?
    A tape is fine, but if you want to attempt to tame her, you're better. Learn to whistle your favorite songs, and then whistle them to her over and over.

I got here a canary treat its hangable and they love it they stay 24/24 on it and its Egg flavor is it good?
    That's fine, but remember, it's a treat. It's like potato chips for you. It shouldn't be an every day thing, just a special treat.

Well this is really sad for me I want here to love my small 3-4 month old male canary but she attacks him a lot and injurs him so I put him in simple cage :'(
    Canaries don't really enjoy being together with another bird, even another canary, unless they're mating, which you shouldn't try. Keep them separated.

if they saw a dove will they die ? Because the balcony is oppen so they see the beuty And feel likehome but doves is near my house a lot soi have to stay about 3- 4 hours near them but if they saw dove they die?
    No, seeing other birds won't kill them. That's fine.

I put lettuce in my hand she tryes here best to get it from my hand and eat it without touchmy hand :P I love here . Here name is juicy
    Keep trying. Remember, patience. It could take months before she willingly climbs onto your hand. The more likely scenario is that it will never happen.

A little tip about birds, one my grandpa (he bred budgies, cockatiels and pigeons) told me. Birds that are easily tamed usually have rounded beaks (budgies, parrots, cockatiels, etc. etc). Birds that are usually not tameable, but just kept for their beauty or singing ability, have pointed beaks (finches, canaries, etc. etc.).

You have a bird that will not willingly be tame to you. She may learn to accept certain things, but to have her sitting on your finger, or being tame around you, is not likely. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, and I encourage you to keep trying, but don't be too disappointed if it never happens. It's the breed.

One thing that may help, and I really have to stress that this should be a last resort and you really need to think this through if you decided to do this, is to clip her wings. Flight feathers will grow back in around 3 months, but clipping them will render her flightless, and therefore make her a bit easier to tame.

This isn't something you should even attempt to do. Clipping the wings should only be done by a pro. I also don't recommend that you take her to a pet store to have this done. Find someone that is willing to come to your home. Realize that if you do this, the pro will have to grab her (which will stress her out) and hold her tightly in order to clip her wings. The stress will leave you back at square one, even worse.

Also, clipping her wings probably won't help her, because of her breed.

I can't stress enough that canaries aren't usually tameable.

Jun 17, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Ty il ask u more stuff tomorrow I'm so tired its 3 pm over here tomorrow il show u my canaries :)

And il ask u lot questions and ty

OMG FORGOT TO ASK by the way she was Golden coller with black spot now she's Golden + orange with black spot :O how she never eat anything Orange :O
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 04:39 PM

They do change colors from when they're infants. Not to worry. :)

I'm here when you have more questions. I've never had a canary, but I do know a lot about them, my parents had a few. :)

I've had budgies (many since my Opa bred them), cockatiels (also many because of my Opa) and finches (they breed like rabbits, get two, you'll have 20 in a year). I never had a canary because I do prefer tameable birds. The only tameable finch I had (and had over 40 at one time) was the one I hand raised. Apparently she was the only tame finch in all of Canada, according to the bird breeder I talked to. :)

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, and I'd love to see pictures. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
    well i think i owe here an apology and i need to start from beggining :/ because she is really mad from me :s i need to fix thing up u know any treat what canary like

HEY by the way does lettuce kill canary because mine LOVES it like crazy
    i really love this canary u can't imagine its like my daughter :) i cover here at night and everything give me tips about them ***

Okay, text speak warning has been given. Text speak still continues.
    Pets Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Okay, text speak warning has been given. Text speak still continues.
    True. I've overlooked it, even though I gave the warning. I'm thinking that this may be a language barrier, considering the time difference.

I'll give one final chance on this thread. Time to start using correct English, with your best ability.

I do want to help, but rules are rules, and they must be followed.

Any more chat speak and this thread will be closed. I'm hoping the OP listens. :)

Jun 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Well I'm okay with it :P close the thread but I need one more answers
    How can you know canarys age
    And why did it turn orange?
    And are budgie lovebirds I wanted to get 1 the owner said they are lovebird I give u 2 for 10$
    Do canary learns small command or they understand example : command to stand on my hand
    In how many days I need to clean there cage I clean it everday and I'm tired of it takes lot time in water and soap :P
    And I need some of your nice info
    U can close the thread I don't care the important thing here is my canary health
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 12:26 AM

This thread has been CLOSED!

To the OP, either stop using text/chat speak or stop posting on this website. We REQUIRE the use of complete words and sentences.

Let me give you an example:

Don't use "u" Type the whole word... YOU

If your use of chat speak continues, all posts WILL be removed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flying insects of the canary Islands [ 1 Answers ]

I was in the Canary isles on holiday when a large insect flew onto the back of my neck as I tried to brush it away it gave me a hell of a bite, felt like a needle going in. A witness said she saw me wince as it bit. As it landed on me it felt as if it had claws as it seemed to clamp onto my skin....

"hot canary" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi again, Is there a MP3 download of "Hot Canary" by Florian Zabach available from the net anywhere that someone may be aware of?

View more questions Search