Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissDeBudlieAy Posts: 38, Reputation: -2

Jun 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Will I be hospitalised?
    So I feel really down and want to die and end all my depression. I know this isn't right and that I should be seen. If I go back to my doctor will I be hospitalised? I'm living in ireland
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 10:45 AM

Where I live (Canada) you would be hospitilized.

Let me just say this, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Please seek help for your depression, there are a lot of good hearted people who want to help you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 08:01 PM

Maybe or maybe not, if they feel outpatient treatment can take care of it, that may be done

Jun 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
    I seriously cannot get over this. Its gotten to the point that I don't want to even be around my friends and I feel like staying in bed only for I need to work to pay bills. Please help me
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 02:02 PM

Have you talked to anyone about this?

A doctor really is your best bet. Depression is serious, and you need to be under the care of a medical professional.

Anti-depressants may be prescribed, and if you give them a chance (they can take up to 6 months to start working effectively) they can really change your life. Therapy is also very helpful.

Like Emily said, suicide is a permanent fix to a temporary problem. I've been were you are, so depressed that I didn't want to go on. I'm so glad I got help. Now I'm married, have 2 wonderful kids, a house full of pets, and I live each day to the fullest.

I know it's hard to imagine being happy right now, but please, at least give a doctor the chance to help you. Stick it out, get medication, get a therapist, and give it all a try. Keep coming here to talk to us, and we'll all help you through as best you can, but do involve the pros. :)

Jun 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
    I'm on antidepressants at the moment but they just don't work. I feel helpless and just have no drive for life anymore. I hate talking about it especially because anything about depression makes my friends tune out and they don't listen, just change the subject. I don't have anybody in my life to talk to about anything
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDeBudlieAy View Post
    im on antidepressants at the moment but they just dont work.
    Then talk to your doctor about this. How long have you been taking them? Maybe they still need more time, or maybe your doctor will have to prescribe something else that may work better.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDeBudlieAy View Post
    so i feel really down and want to die and end all my depression. i know this isnt right and that i should be seen. if i go back to my doctor will i be hospitalised? im living in ireland
    Would you please tell me your age? With antidepressants age of subject can be an important factor and sometimes explain the feelings you are expressing. There is a specific list of these drugs by trade name along with known side-effects, so if you can provide the name of the particular antidepressant you are currently taking?

While I always practiced in the US, I cannot recall a single instance of hospitalizing anyone with a primary diagnosis of depression. That shouldn't be a consideration. However, other avenues must be explored to relieve you of your current misery.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2011, 03:03 PM

It also depends on how much they feel you are a threat to yourself and others around you.

I take it you have been put on these antidepressants by your GP, there are varying levels of antidepressants, it could be that they would advise you go on a higher strength or different medication, also they could recommend therapy.

Being admitted to a hospital is usually a last case scenario so no worries :)

Jun 18, 2011, 11:49 PM
    I'm on 15mg lexapro and I'm 20
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2011, 09:31 AM

On 5/2/2007 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)* proposed that makers of all antidepressant medications update their labeling to include warnings about increased risks of suicidal thinking and behavior in young adults ages 18 to 24 during initial treatment.

Previously this warning had applied only to those under 18 yrs.

Here is a link to the FDA update with a list of the antidepressants:

About.com: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/InformationbyDrugClass/ucm096273.htm

Here is a link to a description of Lexapro, please note the warning: Lexapro (Escitalopram Oxalate) Drug Information: User Reviews, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Dosage at RxList

Your complaint, suicidal ideation, is specifically linked to the class of medication (SSRI), you fall within the targeted age range and are taking an implicated medication. Not conclusive but should be immediately investigated.

This adverse response is usually most pronounced during the early stages of treatment, i.e. first couple of weeks... But not limited to that period. Can also develop at any time, from dosage changes, even switching from brand to generic and many other factors.

*FDA has no authority in the UK. However, NICE (European Equiv) and the FDA usually work in accord. I believe the UK has a more rigid approach to antidepressants than the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search