Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2011, 10:16 AM
    CD's/brokerage house vs bank
    I've had my CD's w/a brokerage firm... almost no interest. A few banks offer a little bit more. Two of my
    CD's are up soon and one was up and put into a money market a/c and they are charging me for that.
    They said I should put all three into one or two a/c's and they will TRY not to add charges for this.
    I'm not money savvy and I'm retired and will soon have to withdraw in a very few years... where can I get
    The best advice. I don't have a whole lot of money, even with 3 CD's... but I get bad vibes from this
    Wellknown firm. Also, many banks may go under in the next two years... that's another worry.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jun 17, 2011, 10:27 AM

Jammy,

I have an account with a credit union with a couple c.d.'s there. While no place is paying interest worth a flip now days at least the credit union does not charge anything for the privilege of keeping my money. Look around and find a credit union that's been around for a long time and that will let you join.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Comment on Dr1757's post
    Never thought of that. Thank you. Will check it out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 08:00 PM

Yes, for a CD investment firms that charge large fees are not a good deal nomally.

My bank does not charge me any fees, my credit union does not charge me any fees

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

CD's are listed as and/or ownership. Can either named person cash in the CD's ? [ 1 Answers ]

CD's are in the name of Mother, daughter and son. They are listed mother, daughter and/or son. Mother is deceased, can either daughter or son remove monies?

Giving House Back to Bank [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave the country for my job for appx. 2 years. I am unable to sell my house and wish to give it back to the bank. My equity is very low. I have the initial mortgage and a home equity loan. I stopped paying on the original mortgage 2 months ago. I still pay on the...

About my bank interest on CD's [ 3 Answers ]

I came to USA in 2006 with H1-B Visa. I am going to file 1040NR-EZ for my 2007 tax report. I just want to know if my bank interest (CD acounts) is non-taxable. Thanks a lot.

Deeding your house back to bank [ 3 Answers ]

Is deeding your house back to the bank the same as a foreclosure?

View more questions Search