Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aretobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Is this right?
    I'm being guilt tripped into going to my nieces 2nd birthday party. For one thing my relationship with my family is an unhealthy one sided thing. I'm expected to give good presents on events but I receive things like socks on christmas. All my time off work is for family reasons and never on my terms :/

So this weekend I got a very rare 3 days off work, so I spent 4 hours and planned a weekend to london. I showed my father and he decided to guilt me into goint to the party. I really don't want to go.

If I ever voice a problem with my family they always back each other up. I'm the black sheep.

Yes I'm well aware I need to break away from this situation. I'm planning a round the world trip but that won't happen for months. This solo trip to london was supposed to be the first step :/

--------
    Is my presence at the party really needed. Will I be shunned if I don't go? By the way I did send a card and €75 present. If I spent less I'd be hanged!
    aretobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 09:03 AM
    The euro sign didn't show up right. I meant to say 75 euro present
    nasilele Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
    I'm shocked no one responded to this an earlier. I suppose the party has already taken place, but for future reference you are 23 years old if I am not mistaken. It sounds like you come from a very controlling family and those are often very difficult to break free from even for just a day or two, especially if you live under their roof. But don't dump them, family is everything. Since it is your niece I would go but there is no reason why you should be guilt tricked into anything. At this point of your life, when it comes to how you spend your own personal time, a yes from you or a no from you is your own right. They do not have to agree with you, but it is only fair they respect your decision. Eventually you will have to live your own life and if you never lived for you, you will forever look back on your years and be dissatisfied. It sounds like a cliché but don't over look it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search