Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissDeBudlieAy Posts: 38, Reputation: -2

Jun 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
    What is the meaning of life
    So I'm 20 and have had depression for over 2 years. I've been on a number of antidepressants and I'm on lexapro at thmoment. Imdont see the point in life. I work, pay bills, go to college and that's it. I don't enjoy being around the few friends that I do have and my familyy think I'm constantly in a bad mood. I just want it to end
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2011, 03:37 PM

It is not rocket science to figure out that there is a God who made all that we see (and do not see). Put it all in His hands and see what He does!
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 09:39 AM

MissD - you mentioned you are on antidepressants, have you spoken with your doctor to see if your dosage needs to be changed? Also - you spoke of family - I would think it is important to let them know how you are feeling, you may see that the impression of you being 'always in a bad mood' change if they were made aware of what you are going through...
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 09:34 AM

Hmmm, infoguy - that's a pretty generalized statement. From what you're saying, it sounds like you believe that every person on a prescription will become a prescription junkie? (by the way, me suggesting she talk to her Dr. to discuss her dosage - to see if perhaps she should be prescribed less, or more, or something else, or nothing at all does not deserve a reddie - I gave you a reddie for your post because it was rude and not helpful at all.)
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jul 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Hmmm, infoguy - thats a pretty generalized statement. From what you're saying, it sounds like you believe that every person on a prescription will become a prescription junkie? (by the way, me suggesting she talk to her Dr. to discuss her dosage - to see if perhaps she should be prescribed less, or more, or something else, or nothing at all does not deserve a reddie - I gave you a reddie for your post because it was rude and not helpful at all.)
    Good comeback! So, can you please site a few examples of people who were on such prescription medications, and, WITHOUT any other kind of treatment or changes (such as hypnosis, surgery, or any other kind of therapy), got back Off the prescription drugs, with NO adverse side effects?
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by infoguy View Post
    Good comeback! So, can you please site a few examples of people who were on such prescription medications, and, WITHOUT any other kind of treatment or changes (such as hypnosis, surgery, or any other kind of therapy), got back OFF of the prescription drugs, with NO adverse side effects?
    Prescription medication is a wonderful thing when prescribed to a correctly diagnosed issue.

I wouldn't have a mother anymore were it not for her anti-depressants, so I think very highly of them. She was prescribed 15 years ago after contemplating driving off a cliff, and after medication she was happy, active, and engaging. Not at all a junkie. She is no longer on them and is still a very wonderful, together person. But she knows that she needed the medication when she took it. As someone who thanks medication every day for the life of my mother, your comments are extremely hurtful and misguided.

The problem with prescription medicine comes from when they are prescribed in incorrect doses or worse when the wrong issue is diagnosed. The psychiatric field struggles with these issues but that by no means disqualifies anti-depressants OR psychologists as useful to people who need them.

This post is a month old now, but to the OP-I second the notion that you should make sure you are speaking to your therapist and that you are on medication, if necessary. If you find comfort in things such as family or religion, focusing on those things would be good as well.

I hope you are doing better now or that things are at least looking up.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by infoguy View Post
    Good comeback! So, can you please site a few examples of people who were on such prescription medications, and, WITHOUT any other kind of treatment or changes (such as hypnosis, surgery, or any other kind of therapy), got back OFF of the prescription drugs, with NO adverse side effects?
    Yes, I can CITE a number of such cases. Many of my clients were on prescription drugs for OCD, depression, anxiety, and ADD. The drugs smoothed out the wrinkles and allowed counseling to be effective. Their various psychiatrists were able to wean my clients off the drugs.
    MissDeBudlieAy Posts: 38, Reputation: -2

Jul 24, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Heya, thanks to everyone who commented, though to infoguy I'm not entirely sure your comments helped. I'm on cymbalta now, 90 mg and so far so good, though my depression is biological and should respond completely respond to medication, so ill keep searching. My family and friends are aware of the issue though I still struggle to talk about it and still have issues around wanting to live but I'm hopeful that this will change. I'm going to counselling now too which so far isn't really halping me but hopefully it will change.

Once again thanks guys for the hope :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the meaning of ''HILALA''? And how does it impact in our life? [ 2 Answers ]

Dears Some time back, I heard an arabic word ''Hilala'' and also some discussion on it. I just need to know that what is the meaning of ''Hilala''? Is there any concept of Hilala in our religion Islam? And how does it impact in our life?

What meaning does the number 2 have in my life? It's everywhere. [ 6 Answers ]

My house number is 222. Every time I look at the clock it is either 2:22 or 22:22, and this isn't just every now and then.. it's nearly all the time like it's being shoved in my face. I went through the McDonalds drive through one day, and on the paper take away packaging was written 222. For no...

What is the meaning of life? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I know this is a common question in life. But I am interested to hear your viewpoint. Why are we here?

View more questions Search