Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan1el Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Who does the chief state park ranger answer to?
    I got a citation at a MO state park, and want to contest it. I contacted the chief ranger, who seemed to be very understanding at first; but now, he isn't getting back to me. I need to speak to someone higher than him, if necessary. Court is next month, and I want to settle this, if possible, before then. It was for jumping off a bridge.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 AM

Have you consulted the state park rule book about bridge use? The rules are posted at trailheads.

***ADDED*** A quick Googling of MO state park rules tells me hikers are not to leave the trail, are to walk across bridges without leaning on, standing on, or in any way messing with railings, and are not to enter rivers and streams beneath those bridges.

I'm guessing you don't have a defense.

Jun 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    That's totally beside the point; there was no posted signs, and reading a book about the laws of the park isn't required reading in order to enter the park. There was no trail head, since I wasn't on a trail.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 11:36 AM

That's totally beside the point; there was no posted signs, and reading a book about the laws of the park isn't required reading in order to enter the park. There was no trail head, since I wasn't on a trail.

According to MO state park rules, hikers are supposed to stay on the trails AND not enter streams or rivers.

Did you read the rules when you became a member of this site? I'm guessing no, since you've broken at least one already.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 11:45 AM

Dan1el, you were on private property where they can dictate what is acceptable and what is not.

If you REALLY believe that you did nothing wrong, then get an attorney to defend you and counter sue them for your costs.

Jun 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Not at my cost; since the parks are made FOR the peoples' enjoyment.

Jun 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    Secondly, I am doing things my way, and the question I asked was specifically (in other words), was, "Who do I speak with if the Ranger won't contact me?"

Jun 16, 2011, 12:13 PM
    #1 If they want me to abide by the rules, they need to make it mandatory for me to read the book before entering the park (as a condition).
    #2 It was off a highway bridge that I jumped; so, it wasn't necessarily "on a trail", nor "off a trail", if by "trail" you mean "designated hiking area". It wasn't designated as a "no-hiking" area.

Jun 16, 2011, 12:13 PM
    #1 (or else, how am I supposed to know EVERY rule they make?)

Jun 16, 2011, 12:16 PM
    Can you please point me to the exact rule that I broke? Was it rating the comments of users who comment on my questions? If so, why make it possible to rate a comment if I'm not supposed to?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 12:17 PM

Daniel, what was it that you were cited for?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 12:20 PM

the parks are made FOR the peoples' enjoyment.

Playgrounds are made for kids' enjoyment, but there are rules of behavior. Streets and roads are made for peoples' enjoyment and to allow them to go from place to place, but there are traffic rules. The roller coaster ride at the amusement park is there for peoples' enjoyment, but there are rules if one wants to ride on one. Missouri state parks (and Illinois ones and NYS ones and Indiana ones and Wisconsin ones and Michigan ones and Idaho ones and Utah ones and Colorado ones -- all the ones I've been to) are there for visitors' enjoyment, but there are written rules if one wants to visit and be in one.

Jun 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Comment on RickJ's post
    In the original post, I included that it was for "jumping off of a bridge" -- a highway bride, too, apparently. (>.<)

Jun 16, 2011, 12:23 PM
    You're really not answering the question, are you? Thanks for your thoughts, though. Have good day.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 PM

a highway bride, too, apparently

Those highways brides will get you every time.

If you respond in the Answer box instead of the Comment box, you will be able to correct any misspellings.

Why did they cite you for jumping off a bridge? What was their reasoning?

Jun 16, 2011, 12:31 PM
    #1 Thanks.
    # 2 Well, that it is against their rules. Ranger proceeded to inform me that it was for our own safety; yet, he also watched (with binoculars) us walk up the highway, and waited for three of us to jump off before stopping us. Doesn't sound like he was convinced I was being unsafe; sounds more like he wanted to give us a ticket.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 12:51 PM

#1 Thanks.

You're welcome. But you're still not responding in the Answer box. Do I need to stand up and walk over there to show you where it is? Life would be so much easier for you if you use the Answer box.

# 2 Well, that it is against their rules.

Oh, those rules. Dear me.

Ranger proceeded to inform me that it was for our own safety; yet, he also watched (with binoculars) us walk up the highway, and waited for three of us to jump off before stopping us. Doesn't sound like he was convinced I was being unsafe; sounds more like he wanted to give us a ticket.

I'm guessing you are under 21 and are not into environmental stuff. Not only was your safety a concern, but also the safety of the river you were in, the wildlife, the river banks, and the flora in and along the river.

Had you all been drinking? Did you all jump in fully clothed? Why jump in? Did you leap over the railing?

Jun 16, 2011, 12:58 PM
    #1 What is the difference?
    #2 Please treat me with care; not rage -- if not, you're wrong to begin with, no matter what you say. This is not easy, but it is the True Way.
    #3 I am 28.
    #4 I understand SOME things about enviro... we were swimming in a designated swimming/boating area.
    #5 No; I don't think I'd swim if I'd had a beer; fully clothed, for the excitement of it, jumped over the guard rails that keep cars from falling in.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 01:07 PM

#1 What is the difference?

I would be able to quote you instead of doing this silly italics thing, and you would be able to go back to edit misspellings or correct your wording. It's win-win for both of us.

#2 Please treat me with care; not rage -- if not, you're wrong to begin with, no matter what you say. This is not easy, but it is the True Way.

No, my way is the True Way. I have no rage. I just finished eating a glorious roast beef sandwich on rye.

#3 I am 28.
    Interesting.

#4 I understand SOME things about enviro... we were swimming in a designated swimming/boating area.

That's good that you were following the rules at that time. So where you jumped in was a designated swimming area, with boats all around?

#5 No; I don't think I'd swim if I'd had a beer; fully clothed, for the excitement of it, jumped over the guard rails that keep cars from falling in.

One of the rules is to stay off the guardrails. You're not even supposed to lean on them.

Why jump in fully clothed? Did you have dry clothing to change into? Was this a peer pressure thing? Or one of those jackass (i.e. note the TV show and movie) moments where everyone takes the dare?

Jun 16, 2011, 01:14 PM
    #0 i. FIRST, this is entirely off-topic; ii. I would prefer to comment because this is NOT an "ANSWER" to my question.
    #1 K
    #2 This isn't about food; just care, r else we miss the entire point.
    #3 K
    #4 Yep; some were fishing, etc. etc.
    #5 Once again, they need to POST rules. I had full SWIMMING ATTIRE. I don't watch that show. We thought it would be fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Accord won't start, park and drive light up as if car does't read in park? [ 0 Answers ]

All lights come on, has not been having problem starting, but did notice was not clicking into gear precisely lately from shifter, would have to jiggle sometimes?

When writing an Answer do you have to re-state each count/paragraph or just answer? [ 8 Answers ]

I am wondering if I have to type the exact counts and paragraphs and then admit or deny each or can I just admit or deny to the number indicated?

Can I take a 2004 ranger engine a put it into 2001 ranger [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thanking about bying a 2004 ford ranger engine to put into a 2001 ford ranger. My biggest concern is the wirring and computer.

A Movie with bears and a park ranger [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I'm not sure if this was a movie or just a cartoon show... I think a movie and no it's not Yogi the bear... it was in a national park and there was a park ranger and all of these bears... the bears made a huge mess in the park and the park ranger hands all of the these pokey sticks and bags to...

View more questions Search