Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigtymers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I'm Confused
    I've recently received a 2005 W2 form from the military. On the form it said it was a correction from the 2005 W2 because I had received a W2 from the military in 2005 after I returned from my deployment. Do I file this document? Because I don't want to get in any trouble because of it. I also received unemployment when return home and I received a W2 for that also, but on the form there were no withheld taxes, what does it mean? Do I owe money or what? I really need some guidance on this one.

Thanks
    Birdman Jr.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Birdman:

You may have to amend your 2005 return. If you have not filed a 2005 tax return, I suggest you do so.

The unemployment document is Form 1099G. They will not withhold taxes from unemployment unless you tell them to. Is it for 2005 as well?
    bigtymers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Birdman's response
    I've already file my 2005 W2 for the military. They sent me the same form from 05' along with the 06' form. At the top of the 05' form says "CORRECTED". My Unemployment W2 is also from 05', should I still file them both?

Birdmanjr
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Birdman:

You need to re-calculate your 2005 tax return, using the corrected W-2 instead of the previous W-2. Then compare the results.

If the second return results in a bigger tax refund, then prepare Form 1040X to amend the return, attaching a copy of the W-2 to the Form 1040X.

If you owe more taxes, you technically should amend the return as well, but the IRS will NOT pursue it if the additional tax owed is less than $50.

Same logic applies for the 2005 state tax return.

Now, if you did not include your 2005 unemployment compensation on your original return, then you must file an amended return to add the unemployment compensation and the corrected W-2. The fact that no money was withheld from the unemployment compensation means that you will owe additional taxes, plus interest (which cannot be waived).

If you wait for the IRS to catch up with you, some rather heavy penalties will be added to the additional tax you owe. If you com forward, the IRS will likely waive the penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused [ 9 Answers ]

:( I have been going out with a boy for around 3 years I recently told him I didn't want a relationship with him no more has he had cheated on me to many times and beat me up a number ofoccasions .it has been around a year and a half now and we still see each other we always end up sleeping with...

Help confused [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am new to this and am very confused and eager to get pregnant. Can somebody help me please. I have a negative hcg test (July 5th 2006)40 days from lmp (May26 2006) and not got AF at 77days (August 4th 2006)from lmp have brown spotting occasionally not enough to wear a panty liner too.I Have...

Confused need help! [ 12 Answers ]

OK last year I met this guy and we started "talking" well a long story short I went away for a couple of days and came back and some stuff was told to me about him and I ended it because I have been through enough and I already don't trust do to parents and boyfriends who have hurt me in the worst...

Confused [ 4 Answers ]

OK I know this guy since I was one years old we grew up together and he was like a brother to me his 21 right now and I am 17 years old. So one day I was alone and he knew that I was going to be alone he called me. We were talking and all his like I am going to come to your house I was like naw bro...

Confused about something [ 4 Answers ]

My 10 yr old daughter is very well behaved in public, at other peoples houses, to other people, but for some reason she has been very snappy and rude towards me. I have been at home with her since she was born. Not because I wanted to, but because I have 2 other kids also, and dh didn't want me to...

View more questions Search