Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xaviers_mama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Hired then fired... anyway to fight it?
    Ok so I have a very close friend who happens to have a few misdemeanor cases on her background. About a month ago while applying for jobs she walked into a Golden Corral and was told to fill out the application and immediately come back to speak to a manager about starting the next day. She was hired on the spot and as stated started the next day. Well work seemed to be going fine for her until one day she calls me completely depressed to inform me that she had just been fired. Apparently she went into work (3 1/2 weeks after hired) and after clocking in was asked to go and speak to the main manager. When she went to speak to the manager he informed her that a background check was conducted and due to her misdemeanors he had to let her go. My question is, Is this right? The company to me did not go about the correct procedures of checking her background BEFORE hiring her like most companies do. And the management didn't even collect any I9 documents from her until 2 weeks after her beginning work there. Everything sounds just plain horrible the way I see it. So anyone now if she can maybe do anything to fight the company?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2011, 03:42 AM

Did she list the misdemeanors on her application? If she did, she might have a complaint, but if she didn't, then she has none. Some companies will hire pending a background check. You can even hire and collect the I9 info later on. There is nothing illegal about that.

Most US states are at will employers. Meaning they can fiure someone for no reason at all, so its unlikely she can get any redress on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I learn to fight someone back if I've never been in a fight? [ 4 Answers ]

Well a girl's boyfriend flirts with me a little and it pisses her off. So to get attention she says I'm trying to steal him from her (how pathetic, right?) at first I ignored her b.s. but when she started putting my friends against me she crossed the line. She keeps saying she will knock me out but...

What do you do if you fired public defender before you hired a lawyer? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother was charged with a fraud felony. He was offered two pleas (he did not accept them) on the 3rd plea he was told by his public defender that he had to either sign the plea or take it to trial. Two days before court (court was Monday) he decides to hire a lawyer. Monday at court the lawyer...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search