Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deltaduke55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Bad office environment?
    Okay, I'll try to make this as short as possible. I have worked in an office with three other women for almost a year. Two of them are good friends with each other and the other third woman was friends with the girl whose place I took. Apparently before I came, the two groups did not like each other. But, since I've been here, none of them are friendly to me at all. The three of them are all now 'buddy-buddy',and they totally leave me out. The two original women who were good friends bring in lunch for each other and exchange gifts on holidays, etc. The third woman, who used to not like that group, now laughs and jokes around with them and they, at least twice a day, gather together and have long talks. When I enter the room, they do not try to include me at all, so I do whatever I need to do and return to my desk. We do have a male boss who stays to himself. I have spoken with him a few times on the matter, but he doesn't really offer any guidance. So, now I'm not sure what else to do. The job is close to home and pays well, but I'm just not happy when I'm there because of being excluded. Any suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 03:02 PM

You are paid to go to work and do your work, Being friends is not a job requirement. So there is nothing you can do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaduke55 View Post
    But, since I've been here, none of them are friendly to me at all.
    Have you been friendly to them? How? What have you done?
    When I enter the room, they do not try to include me at all
    What do your body language and facial expression say? What do you say? Do you greet them?
    So, now I'm not sure what else to do.
    Offer to bring in something for lunch? It could be your treat for the first time (and say so), but start to accumulate menus from area restaurants and take-out places, so all four of you can plan occasional food runs or deliveries.

Bring in something homemade -- cookies or a coffeecake? At my workplace, once in a great while, I would bring in one of those party loaves -- bakery white bread sliced horizontally and each layer filled with ham salad and chicken salad and egg salad and an olive salad, then ice with a cream cheese frosting. (Party Sandwich Loaf Recipe from Betty Crocker) or I'd bake something as simple as chocolate chip cookies or make easy but awesome caramel brownies (Cooks.com - Recipe - German Chocolate Caramel Brownies).

Kill 'em with food.
    deltaduke55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 05:58 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I appreciate your comments. There was actually one bad experience I can recount. Once when I arrived at work, two of them who get there earlier, were talking. I went on to my desk and stayed there for about 20 minutes. I then walked back out to them and they both looked at me like I had the plaque - one of them returned to her desk and the other one started working on her computer again. I talked to her for a minute but, feeling the tension, returned to my desk. After that incident was when I spoke to my boss. He later told me he spoke with one of them, supposedly he was subtle about it, and she said they were talking about something personal and I just walked in and they felt like I was being pushy. Pushy, really? I don't think they should have been talking for at least 30 minutes on something that personal during office hours! Anyway, I also brought in some donuts one day, and no one ate one but me. I guess you can hear my frustration, but I am at the end of my rope.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 08:24 AM

I guess you can hear my frustration, but I am at the end of my rope.

Would you be brave enough to ask one of them or even all at once? (make it "I" statements) -- "I love this job and what I'm learning and really want to feel like I am part of this office team. What can I do to make that happen?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is prior office experience so important in applying for a low-level office job? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and I am looking for a new job. I have a college degree, I am clean, well-dressed, articulate and knowledgeable about the fields to which I am applying. Unfortunately, I have been passed over recently for two different jobs due to lack of office experience. Perhaps it has to do...

Unable to open any office 2003 application after downgrading fro office 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys I just uninstalled office 2007 and installed office 2003, but I cannot go to outlook, it gives me an error saying something like mapi. Please assist guys:confused:

Bad working environment [ 3 Answers ]

This is a long story I will try and keep it short. First off a little back ground. I work in an office, last spring my manager went on a leave of absence then in the fall they put a "management trainee" there to help with the work load. A couple of months ago my manager resigned due to health...

Bad Probation Office [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live in the state of Colorado. My husband recently was charged with a class 5 misdemeanor and sentenced two years supervised probation. The conditions of his probation was Keep employment, keep a residence, and do not break the law. The judge crossed out the pages that said he...

View more questions Search