Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gator69uf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Visio 47" LCD TV has no sound; HDMI inputs work intermittently.
    Has anyone seen this problem?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 07:49 PM

Please elaborate on your problem. I have seen several problems like this with different brand TVs.

When you say the TV has no sound, do you mean that there is absolutely no sound coming from any inputs?

You also mention that the HDMI inputs are only working intermittently. Have you tried updating the software on the TV?

Which model Vizio is this?

Your message could also be interpreted to mean that only the sound from HDMI inputs work intermittently.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 08:37 PM

Try a brand new HDMI cable before getting too deep in this issue

Jun 16, 2011, 04:30 AM
    It is an 18 month old Visio 47" LCD 240 Hz driven by a DirectTV box. There was absolutely no sound using either any AV or any HDMI input. I plugged the same AV cable into an audio amplifier and heard the sound fine. I have used the audio amplifier for sound for several days. This morning without changing any cables the TV sound began working again.

As to the intermittent HDMI inputs what I mean is that the picture and sound stopped working through HDMI #1 and I switched the cable to HDMI #2 and it worked. Some weeks later that stopped working and I switched the same cable back to HDMI #1 and it now works.

??
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gator69uf View Post
    It is an 18 month old Visio 47" LCD 240 Hz driven by a DirectTV box. There was absolutely no sound using either any AV or any HDMI input. I plugged the same AV cable into an audio amplifier and heard the sound fine. I have used the audio amplifier for sound for several days. This morning without changing any cables the TV sound began working again.

As to the intermittent HDMI inputs what I mean is that the picture and sound stopped working through HDMI #1 and I switched the cable to HDMI #2 and it worked. Some weeks later that stopped working and I switched the same cable back to HDMI #1 and it now works.

???

Try updating the software for the TV. To do this you will need to get the model number. This is usually found either on the back or the side of the TV. This usually fixes intermittent HDMI issues.

I know you said that the sound worked through your audio receiver, but also try a second device through the TV just to be certain.

Jun 16, 2011, 05:28 AM
    Comment on FadedMaster's post
    Thank you - I will try updating the software. The product manual says SV471XVT but I will check what is on the unit itself. Also, I did try the AV inputs in addition to the HDMI.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2011, 04:15 PM

I know you said you tried the AV inputs in addition to the HDMI, however, have you tried connecting a different device. Not just connecting your DirecTV box a different way.

So what I'm basically saying is connect a DVD player or something else to the TV and see if you have the same problem with that unit.

Jun 17, 2011, 06:33 AM
    I did, yes. The DirectTV controller and a DVD player. Each exhibits the same failure modes with the TV. And now HDMI #1 input failed and I moved input the HDMI #2 which works. I am seeing random intermittent failures of the sound and the input channels.

Jun 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
    I cannot find anything in the manuals that came with the TV regarding updating the software. Can you give me some direction on where to go? Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2011, 04:45 PM

On most TVs updating the software is done by downloading an update from the manufacturer's website to a USB drive and connecting it to the TV. Usually at this point it will pop up automatically on the screen or you'll have to go through the menu for something about software updates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CanI connect hdmi on laptop to hdmi on my surround sound system? [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know,if I can hook up the hdmi on the laptop to hdmi input on the surround sound and have it work. I'musing the headphone jack now but it's a sh$#*y connection.

Panasonic vierra LCD- no picture or sound through HDMI ports [ 3 Answers ]

Panasonic LCD was working fine. Now can't get picture or sound via any of the three HDMI ports. Cable and component input work fine. Tested cable box with another high def TV and it worked. Can HDMI ports be bad?

View more questions Search