Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dice33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Statute of limitations ontario?
    I have a debt from 1998 & they have just contacted me now is that allowed I mean we are in 2011 now
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 04:35 PM

Who has contacted you, a collection agency? The statute in Ontario is six years on an unsecured loan. It doesn't matter if it is allowed or not, the debt is passed down from the original creditor and bought for so many cents on the dollar. If you don't contact them, don't talk to them, don't activate the debt by paying anything, then it will go away. In essence, their time has run out for collecting on this debt.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations - Ontario [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, This is in reference to a consumer debt by the way. I have read that the Ontartio sTatute law was modified Such that any debt as of jan 1 2004 was "sue-able" within 2 years , any debt before that was "sue-able" for up to 6 years. Is that correct? Also, assuming I encounted a debt in Sept...

Statute of Limitations Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I have a credit card that I have stopped paying two years ago. But I was not in Ontario during the last two years. Does the SOL apply to my situation or does the SOL start over again when I return to Ontario,Canada. Please advise. The credit card is old but the payments were stopped in 2005. ...

Statute of limitations ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I have a debt that is 15 years old they are now trying to collect what can I do

New vs. Old Statute of Limitations in Ontario [ 1 Answers ]

If a credit card issued in the 1990's goes into arrears sometime after Jan 1/04, does the new SOL or the old SOL in Ontario apply? For further clarification, as of Jan 1/04, there was debt owing on the card but it was not in arrears at that time. Thanks!

View more questions Search