Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emangray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 07:17 AM
    Compressed blown cellulose versus less cellulose in attic?
    I built a box frame above my ceiling joists for future attic flooring to be added after cellulose was to be blown in. Everything was going smooth, until the cellulose blowers blew 6 inches of the cellulose above the frame! So, here is my question: should I move the excess blown cellulose to the sides before laying down plywood, or just lay the plywood on top of excess cellulose? In other words,is more compressed cellulose better than less uncompressed cellulose?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 07:27 AM

When it comes to insulation; more is less. Too much insulation, compresed, has less R valve than not compressed. Insuklation property comes from trapped air, compression removes that air so its not good. I'd rake out the excess or build an even taller base for the flooring

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does ammonia break down cellulose to produce biofuels [ 1 Answers ]

How does ammonia break down cellulose to produce biofuels

Separate compressed blown insulation packages [ 8 Answers ]

I am insulating my attic with blown cellulose. I don't wan't to rent the machine, so to save money, I will spread it by hand. Any ideas on how to separate the compressed packages? Thank you Luc

Blown Insulation and Attic Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Does the R value of blown insulation reduce if the insulation is compressed. The reason I ask is I have a section in my attic which is over a room and therefore has blown in insulation. If I place attic flooring (just a 4x8 sheet of wood) over it does it reduce the effectiveness. I know they...

Cellulose or fiberglass? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been doing some research and getting some estimates on insulation (wow is it expensive!). And the debate between fiberglass and cellulose is driving me crazy. Do you guys have any opinions on what's best? Because from my end it seems to depend on who you ask. Does fiberglass lose r-value...

View more questions Search