Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aquarius1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 03:06 AM
    I have a clean record, but pleaded guilty to theft in court. Is the army a choice?
    I want to join the army but when I was a naïve young stupid 16 year old kid I got arrested because I stole 20 bucks from a kid and got in a fight at the beach with him and his friends, I had to go to court my lawyer told me to plea guilty which I did and received no punishment and my record stayed clean but would the army see the guilty plea as a conviction to the original offense... I am now almost 18 and I want to join the army, does anyone know if I will be able to enlist? I mean can I enlist without a waivor, I have also heard that if you were a convicted juvenile that the military would dismiss the offense after 5 years with no other offenses committed in those 5 years. If anyone has an idea about this I would greatly appreciate your help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2011, 05:37 AM

Yes, the Army can see your entire record and, yes, your record appears to contain a "guilty" to whatever you were charged with.

The person to advise you is an Army recruiting officer. I have seen posts where people WERE accepted into the Army and posts where people were NOT admitted into the Army.

Why are you hesitant to ask the recruiter?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2011, 05:46 AM

Hello a:

$20?? Dude, the Army will LOVE you. You just got to tell the truth.. That's PART of being a good soldier - TELLING THE TRUTH!

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius1221 View Post
    ... i have also heard that if you were a convicted juvenile that the military would dismiss the offense after 5 years with no other offenses committed in those 5 years. ...
    The'll just march into the courthouse and "dismiss" it? I don't think so. They may choose to overlook the conviction, but the DOD doesn't have any say with respect to the state court record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello a:

$20????? Dude, the Army will LOVE you. You just gotta tell the truth.. That's PART of being a good soldier - TELLING THE TRUTH!

excon

My feeling is it's more about the fight than the $20. Of course, the Army is looking for people with attitude so...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two clean record checks in recently and today it's not clean? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I'm a nursing student and I graduate in 10 days and need a clean record check! Which in the past 3 years I have had two come back clean. Today I received a record check and it didn't come back clean strange! I have called everyone I can think to call and no help!! I was convicted with theft...

I pleaded guilty to a 484 I am on a diversion is it a conviction [ 5 Answers ]

I pleaded guilty to a 484 I am on a diversion once I complete the program it will be dismissed and reduce to an infraction so as of right now do I have a conviction.

I have pleeded guilty for theft under $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

I found a handbag that was unattended for at least 30 minutes in a public place and took it. I got caught and was charged with theft even though there was nothing in the handbag that I took except for a few coins. I just wanted to know as a first offence what are the possible punishments I may...

US Army Criminal Record System [ 3 Answers ]

Unfortunately I have a perjury charge in the US Army Criminal Background System. It came up when a correctional officer did a background check. He could not give me details as he said the report said for your eyes only, which is bull because it is MY report. Anyway Accurate is doing a background...

View more questions Search