Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wayne1966 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 09:20 PM
    Yellow water stain
    I have Discuss fish in my tank. I added timber logs to soften the water but there is a yellow water stain. The logs have been in the tank for a few months yet despite the numerous water changes and the yellow stain remover (sachet that one places into the filter)the yellow reappears almost instantly! The tank looks dirty all the time and is very aethetically unpleasing! Must I have these water logs for discuss to thrive? Someone told me to place the logs in chlorine for about 20 min then wash off and allow to dry in the sun so that the yellow colour is bleached from the timber? Im worried that the residue of chlorine will kill the fish? What do I do?
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jun 15, 2011, 05:39 AM
    Discus are like angels and tetras, from the Amazon region. They require soft water on the acidic side, like that of their natural habitat. This can be done by adding peat to your filter and placing wood in the aquarium. The down side it darkens the color of the water. The aesthetics may not seem pleasing to you, however, the fish are benefiting. It's your choice, take it out to please yourself or give the fish a healthy environment.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 04:44 PM

Discus, despite their vivid colors, love murky waters, so as GZDZ said the fish are loving it, although it's not very pleasing to look at.

If you have a filter with carbon it should take care of the color over time.
    You can also remove the wood and boil and drain it several times before putting it back in to help remove the color.

We had discus for years and never had wood in the tank, they were in just a regular tropical aquarium with other fish, they were obviously happy because they bred several times a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yellow discoloration or stain on cultured marble [ 8 Answers ]

We recently had a cultured marble countertop installed in a bathroom (5 months ago). Earlier this week, in my regular cleaning, I found a yellow discoloration or stain under the soap dispenser and soap dish. The installer came out yesterday and "buffed" the stain away. I have a few questions -...

What is causing a water stain on the ceiling ABOVE the toilet? [ 2 Answers ]

I discovered a water stain on the ceiling ABOVE the toilet which gets bigger and wetter when I shower. This master bath is below an upstairs closet, which is not wet anywhere and only contains clothing. This happens regardless of whether it is raining outside. I really think it has something to...

Yellow water from cold & hot water lines on city service [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house that is ~30 years old. It has copper pipes. When I first noticed yellow water I flushed my hot water tank, but the water problems persists and it occurs even when I'm running cold water. There is some sediment in the water that looks like the iron content in well water,...

Water Stain on Dining Room Ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

HELP ! I live in a 2 story house. I noticed a brown spot on main floor dining room ceiling (around a light fixture) It feels damp and spongy. I have not had any flooding in the upstairs bathroom and no noticeable leaks. There are no windows in the upstairs bathroom or on that side of the house...

Water stain spots [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove water stain spots from chrome faucets

View more questions Search